Alfa GT JTS 2.0 idle shaking - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 04-02-15 Thread Starter

County: -
Help Alfa GT JTS 2.0 idle shaking

I just bought an 2005 ALFA GT 2.0 JTS with 6m warranty. Around 60k miles on it
It had a belt/waterpump change, new plugs, check up etc.
It was shaking when idle though, not a lot, but noticeable in the seat. And the shaking was off to one side, like a jump on one side, landing on another. I took it back and the garage read out that a bobbin (x2) was bust. They put two new ones on. Now I have the feeling the shaking is even, but heavier. Garage says that an 2.0 always shakes.

What is normal for an Alfa GT 2.0? I know the shaking of an V6, but this just seems too much for an 2.0 engine... Or could it already have a lot of carbon buildup with 60k? And needs cleaning, or something else?

Thoughts appreciated, because I can get it fixed in the warranty period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Staffordshire
It is worth checking the lambda voltages, I had problems with a rough idle which was due to the engine not going into the lean-burn state at idle Lambda Graphs.pdf, it was finally seemingly permanently fixed when my indie replaced the timing belts and radiator a few months ago, presumably some sensor connection was bad. In my case with the 1.5V pre-cat voltage the idle was lumpy and the car shuddered slightly on switch off, with the 2.2 pre-cat voltage the idle is pretty smooth and there is no shuddering on switch off.

A 2005 JTS should not have carbon build-up problems in the intake manifold, this is considered to be a problem with earlier euro3 engines but not with the later euro4 engines that had an altered inlet camshaft and ECU. The JTS engine is known for carbon build-up in the exhaust system, but that shouldn't effect tick-over. I had a large bore free-flow post-cat exhaust fitted which improved performance noticeably, the removed standard exhaust was very heavy due to the carbon inside it.
AO Member

County: Queensland

Member car:

Alfa 156

Bufter, if the sensation at idle is like the car is bouncing up & down slightly, then I think you'll find it to be either bent conrod or the conrod big end bearings. Has the car been through any water recently?

I ask because I have gone through the exact same experience.

Baz
AO Member

County: France-

Member car:

GTV 2.0TS

You should :

_ first clean the throttle butterly and all around it, including the small motor controlling his mouvement.

_ check the injectors, the common reaction for direct injection engines is too have idle problem when an injector start to have some internal failure.

_ check if threre is no oil from the head cover going onto the candles.
the plastic cover can be warped, and the gasket will not do his work properly.

_ check if no noise is coming from the phase variator (should not be the case for this mileage)

_ check if the candles are not worn. (should be the case for this mileage ...)

2.0 TS and 2.0 JTS have very closed design and management.

Last edited by Triangule; 10-05-15 at 21:16.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
alfa , idle , jts , shaking

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page