Aux Belt... Help! :o - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 02-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Aux Belt... Help! :o

I need help mates.... though I feel like a tool having to ask...

Does anyone have a diagram how the aux' belt fits on a T/Spark (1.8 with no a/c if that makes a huge difference)?

I took my aux-belt tensioner and the belt off to fix my failed water pump/knackered head.. and now I've done all that .. all fine.. I can't refit my aux' belt. The blo8dy bast4rd just won't go on - it's like it's an inch too short..

I did remove it some time ago.. so I can't be sure I'm putting it back together right.

The tensioner only appears to be able to fit one way (locating lug in the back.. that leaves the roller pointing upwards... rotating it anti-clockwise with a 15mm spanner presses against its tension). So far so good.

But I can't work out how the belt fits (I did take it off months ago). I think the belt should pass outside all the pulleys (Alternator, Steering and crankshaft are all ribbed) but is then hooked over the tensioner (smooth/outer face of the belt) so the whole thing looks like an "n" shape.

But no matter how far I push the tensioner back (using 15mm spanner turning it anti-clockwise), the belt isn't "long enough" to fit over the pulleys. I can't remember it was ever this difficult to fit the belt so I must be routing it wrong.

I've attached how I'm trying to fit it. The arrow is the spring tension of the adjuster, so it's pushing the belt "upwards" .. and logically if the belt was longer, this would work. But it's obviously not correct. Usually the aux belt goes on easy.. (albeit the 15mm spanner bit needs a firm pressure to rotate the tensioner pulley against the spring)

Ralf S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belt.jpg (16.6 KB, 0 views)

No bullets for Chaingun..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Had a look in the manuals and not found anything showing arrangement for non- aircon. When refitting aux belts I have used a jack on the end of the 15 mm spanner to move it upwards thus enabling me to fit the belt more easily.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 04-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

That's a big jack!

I might try that though... lower the car as low as it will go on one jack and use the second one to wind up the 15mm spanner.

I've come to the conclusion that my routing (above) is correct... since I can't see any other way to line up the ribs of the belt with the pulleys.. and the back of the belt to the smooth face of the tensioner wheel.

Also.. ,y layout looks like the engine picture on ePER too. ePER is only representative, I know... but it's also fairly accurate sometimes too.

Let me just try again. Maybe I've just become too puny. New belt is on the way... I'll look for a scaffold pipe to put over my spanner.. and I'll jack it up too...

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
That's a big jack!

Ralf S.
Should have said I used a length of tube on the jack pad to extend it. Car on the ground and not up on a ramp, now that would need a long length of pipe unless using a transmission jack!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
aux , belt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page