Banging and hunting idle.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 27-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Banging and hunting idle..

Now then.. following a terminal engine-wreck (Twin-Spark 1.8 metal head - water pump failed and trashed the cam-belt) I have rebuilt the cylinder head and plugged everything back in.

The beast started first turn of the key... but apart from a massive blow in the exhaust mid-section (I only had a deformed old clamp to fit in there while the new clamp arrives) there was just the usual to be expected ticking of valves, clatter of variator etc. which gradually became a bit quieter.

BUT the engine is hunting like a MoFo... so where do I look?

The beast revs to 2000 rpm and down again... suggests an ICV sticking but I had that and the injectors ultra-sound cleaned and so they ought to be nice and "loose" now. The throttle cable is slacked off for now.. so there's no "pulling" coming from that.

I also fitted new inlet rubbers... so the inlet side is certainly not leaking. Yes, the flexi section around the throttle body is perished and taped up with gaffer tape.. but it was like that before the engine problem and the idle was pretty immaculate then.

I've disconnected the battery in case the ECU needs to start all over again... but has anyone got any suggestions? I'm hoping that sealing up the exhaust (I think it's just the mis-section, behind the cat.. ) might help... but normally a blowy exhaust doesn't make the engine go mental.. so I dunno.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 6 Old 27-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Symptoms were most like when the ICV stuck and needed a clean.. and I do have a spare "not perfect" (i.e. cheap and rubbish! ) ICV which I'll try... to see if it changes the symptoms..

Meanwhile... anything else?

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 30-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Eh? Eh?

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 02-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Sorted it. I made the exhuast properly gas tight c/o new clamp... but I also removed the ICV. It was a bit sticky.. probably residue from the ultra-sonic cleaning I sent if off for. I blasted it with some contact cleaner and gave it a bit of lube with some WD40.

Exhaust still has a very minor blow around the connector sleeve (a spot of Gun Gum will fix that) but otherwise the idle is back to normal and veeeery smooth now.

Ralf S.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Lonely in here ain't it! Glad you got it sorted.
AO Silver Member

County: hell

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
banging , hunting , idle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page