Is there a "sweet spot" rev range for the V6? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 03-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: South Lanarkshire
Is there a "sweet spot" rev range for the V6?

New to the V6 engine (in a 2010 Brera), and coming from an RX-8 rotary I am used to lots of revs.

In the RX-8, 3000 rpm was the sweet spot for driving around town and in traffic.

Is there a such a sweet spot for the V6. I know it can potter along at 1500 rpm but I am feeling that that 2500 offers a better drive without really affecting economy.

What do you experienced V6'ers recommend?

It's a great car and I let it run to the redline once or twice each time out just to hear that sound and work the engine a bit :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Berlin
Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalaro View Post
New to the V6 engine (in a 2010 Brera), and coming from an RX-8 rotary I am used to lots of revs.

In the RX-8, 3000 rpm was the sweet spot for driving around town and in traffic.

Is there a such a sweet spot for the V6. I know it can potter along at 1500 rpm but I am feeling that that 2500 offers a better drive without really affecting economy.

What do you experienced V6'ers recommend?

It's a great car and I let it run to the redline once or twice each time out just to hear that sound and work the engine a bit :-)
for my 159 3.2JTS V6 Q4 it feels that between 2000 and 2500 is good for cruising with having some reserve for "quick" response, still having decent economy.

feels quite good 3000-4000

I had nice rally session last September when driving in Verdon Gorge

but then I was driving even more than 4000 most of the time
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
For mine about 3250 +\- a tad seems most comfortable for cruising, there is no Rev range that gives particularly better economy I'm afraid

Mj
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

There are fuel efficient area's in an engines rev range that are more efficient than others.
But working it out is quite difficult and requires the map and many other settings for the car.

Usually its around peak torque though.
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

GT 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
Usually its around peak torque though.
At full throttle yea, at part load its lower down the rev range. If somebody could find a bsfc map for the V6 then that'd tell you.

Something like this, this is for a diesel so it looks a bit different but you get the idea. Load (throttle opening) on the y axis, engine speed on the x axis. The blue 'islands' are the brake specific fuel consumption (g/kWh). the lower the better. Here this random engine is most efficient at near WOT at ~2300 rpm. Cruising on the mway using 1/3 throttle it'd be most efficient at 1500 rpm.

These are quite hard to come by though. Maybe somebody who does maps could run it on a dyno and produce this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2000px-Brake_specific_fuel_consumption.svg.jpg (180.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by V6soundsgood; 18-01-15 at 18:09.
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Yeah thats what I was looking for. But as you say they are hard to come by. And you won't actually get the exact same results on your own car. There are so many variables that come into play.

But those graphs do give you an indication of fuel efficiency.
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

GT 3.2

Yea, in the real world things are different. From what I remember from my Dad's Brera V6... the fuel economy was pretty crap no matter how you drove it

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
range , rev , sweet spot

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page