2.4 jtdm low oil level after oil change with and defective oil filter - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 23-12-14 Thread Starter

County: Nordjylland

Member car:

159 2.4

2.4 jtdm low oil level after oil change with and defective oil filter

I tried an DIY oilchange on my 159 2.4 jtdm as i have done this a load of times on other cars ... anyhows ... it did not went as planned ....

when i was changing the oilfilter, the bottom part of the plastic filter housing with a small shim ring broke of (not into the engine). As i needed the car i tried to fit the filter anyhow.

When i turned the engine on it sounded like something was ratteling in the engine, not a metallic sound but my guess was that the oil filter was being pushed around because of the lacking support by the filter housing, so i turned it of again in a hurry. unscrewed the filter housing and the filter seemed fine. Found a replacement filterhouse on ebay which is now inbound.

Now i just wanted to check if every thing was OK, so i pluged in the key, and to my suprise it now states low oil level the stick confirmes this ... (just after the oil change a couple of hours earlier it stated full)

There is not a single drop under the engine so it is in the engine somewhere ... but where ? in any engine i know the oil would slowly return to the swamp when turning off the engine ...

i need some advice on how to proceed, where is the oil now ? should i do a complete oilchange again when the new filterhousing arrives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
at first startafter an oil change, the filter housing and oil cooler + galleries and oil pump need to be primed. so if you fill to max on the dipstick the level will drop in the sump.

how much oil did you put in after the change? 5.5 litres it took on my 10v

anyway, no oil change needed after fitting the new housing, but check the level after the first start....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
change , defective , filter , jtdm , level , low , oil

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page