Multiple errors and engine cut out - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 29-11-14 Thread Starter

County: East Sussex

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD 150

Multiple errors and engine cut out

Hi Everybody,

Driving along the other day my 156 (2.4 JTD 10v CF3) threw up a VDC error, this not being that unusual I carried on driving as it always clears with a switch off and on.

About half a mile later I lost power shortly followed by the engine cutting out. I pulled over and tried to restart, although she turned over she wouldn't start. On turning the ignition on i then got a VDC, quickly followed by EBD and ABS error flashing on the screen and the key/code light lit on the dashboard accompanied by some strange whirring noises from behind the dash.

I gave up and called the RAC. Whilst waiting I tried again and she started. I waited a couple of minutes and then whilst on the phone to the RAC to cancel she cut out. P
When the RAC guy turned up he plugged his computer in and read the DTC's which showed pre-heaters (I know they're shot as the dash light flashes on every start), boost pressure sensor and EGR valve. Claiming it was the EGR, he unplugged it and she's run fine for the last ~100 miles.

I'm not at all convinced a faulty EGR valve would exhibit these symptoms but the car is running better with it not plugged in, slightly better pick up and less smoke. I'd already ordered EGR blanks from JTD Performance so I'll fit these when they come.

Can anybody offer any suggestions? I've trawled the forum and think either a dying battery, faulty crank sensor or loose ECU plug are the most likely causes? Seems a strange series of errors! Any suggestions would be great

Also can anybody tell me if a decat for the 150hp CF3 is the same as other 2.4's as the ones I've seen for sale don't list this as a compatible model? Any pointers on a good place to get one?

Cheers,

Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
abs , ebd , egr , vdc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page