Type Approved Cat.. meeow! :D - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 25-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Type Approved Cat.. meeow! :D

Now then... while Blue (145 T/Spark 1.8) is in intensive care following the demise of its waterpump hence cam-belt... I am going to sort out the upper exhaust which has been vexing me for some time;

The cat was replaced a long time ago prior to my ownership... and it appears to be from a completely different car. The fitter "got round" the problem of it not having a flange that matched the OE down-pipe (flexi-section) by simply welding the cat' to the OE down-pipe.

The exhaust is still sound (do you see what I did there? ) but my emissions are now a little high, the flexi' section is starting to go, and the whole thing looks a lash-up of Frankenstein's monster proportions and offends my OCD..

I'm going to buy a new down-pipe/flexi.. a new Cat on the mat.. and possibly a new lambada sensor so that everything down-wind of the manifold will be an MOT Tester's dream..

I have seen standard non-EE appoved cats (circa 50) and also EE approved cats (circa 70). My car doesn't need an approved cat since it was invented when Zeppelins were still bothering Gravesend.. but EE approved cats are dearer because they have more Precious in them, isn't it? That means in theory they will clean up the exhaust more than a non-approved Cat.

Given that Blue always flirts with Doctor Death, the emissions machine operator, at MOT time.. is there any mileage in getting an Approved cat,. for my non-approved cat requiring car...? i.e. Is Approved better/cleaner than a non-approved one?

Would my old beast be able to make use of the additional Precious in the cat (or would it make no difference without the necessary electronics etc. presumably that come with cars that need Approved cats?

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Those cheap aftermarket cats have so little precious metal in them that we never even bothered separating them. They usually valued at 1 or maybe 2 if we were lucky.

I would try and find an original Alfa cat, even a 2nd hand one. It will have vastly more precious metal inside and will do a better job. We've fitted loads over the years, mostly replacing aftermarket ones that stopped passing emissions tests after a few years.

On your 145 the lambda sensor is before the cat, the car doesn't do any emissions monitoring.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 25-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Yeeerz... the cat' that's on there is from "something" but I don't know what. It could be from a 156 or something.. it looks vaguely Alfa-like but I haven't cleaned up the surface to look for any marks or numbers.

I could have a look for an OE cat' but '45s are all over 12 years old now.. so I'm looking at the best/most affordable option. I don't want the cheapest cat' that will fit - it's not worth the annual grief/car's flirting with The Doctor.. )

But is a Type Approved Cat' "better" than a non-approved doodah? Will it do anything extra saucy to clean up the emissions, even if the car doesn't knoe about it..?

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
approved , cat , meeow , type

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page