Excessive Oil use - 156 2.0 JTS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By BMP
  • 1 Post By BMP

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 14-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Kent
Excessive Oil use - 156 2.0 JTS

Hi all,

I've had a glance through a few threads on this already, but not entirely sure if the use of oil is regarded as normal or excessive for my 156.

I've had it about one year, but have recently noticed that I'm getting through 2L of Selenia Racing Oil (10w/60) every 3 months. It seems to require a top every 250-340 miles. I have been checking the oil on a regular basis (weekly), and it always seems to require some. However, no oil check light has ever appeared when low.

I hope you can help.

Thank you in-advance.

Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Cheshire
The oil level indicator only shows 1 litre's worth of oil because the engine should not be running on any less than 3.4 litres (capacity 4.4).

Have you checked the gasket seals for leaks?

Oil consumption is high on high mileage JTS engine's I have found but not as high as what you are seeing
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
My GTV JTS (euro4 engine) used just over 1 litre of 10W60 over a 2,500 mile around France trip I made last month. I do not consider this excessive, especially when compared to the 2.0 TS 156 I used to have which consumed oil at an alarming rate. The GTV has now covered 82,000 miles.

According to eper the part numbers for the JTS piston rings were changed in January 2004, which is probably the change over from the euro3 engine to the euro4 engine. Many people have commented on excessive oil use with the JTS engine, probably mainly for the earlier euro3 engine.
BMP
AO Member

County: Friesland

Member car:

Mito 135 BHP

Sorry to say, but the jts engine is a problem engine the cilinder drillings are a problem from start on , here in holland the do a modification the dril oil holes benaeath the oil-scraper ring to drain the oil easy inside the piston.

The most problems with excessive oil use are computer errors and a broken catalytic converter (the are not cheap).

These guys do the revision/modification use google translate, also not cheap

solution excessive oil use
Fruity likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: -
My 03 JTS goes through about 2.5 litres between oil changes (every 10,000km). Apparently, usage up to 1 litre per 1000km is acceptable.
BMP
AO Member

Member car:

Mito 135 BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_veloce View Post
My 03 JTS goes through about 2.5 litres between oil changes (every 10,000km). Apparently, usage up to 1 litre per 1000km is acceptable.
That is what alfaromeo says, and the most other car manufactures, i think it is to much, but that is imho
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowleySerpent View Post
Hi all,

It seems to require a top every 250-340 miles.
If that is from min to max on the dipstick (1L) than that really is excessive. My 2003 JTS used nowhere near that, 1600 miles/L when I got it and 1100 miles/L 60,000 miles later. Assuming that there isn't a lake of oil on your drive and it is being burnt, I'd expect at least a puff of blue smoke to be visible in your rear view mirror when changing gear while accelerating hard and then inside of your exhaust pipe to be quite oily.

It's worth checking that the crankcase breather system/PCV valve isn't blocked and is working properly.

Previous Alfa Romeos:

1976 Alfetta GTV Coupe
1981 Alfetta GTV SE Coupe
1996 Alfa 155 2.0 Twinspark
1997 Alfa 146 ti
2003 Alfa 156 JTS

Current cars: 1996 Alfa 146 ti, 2005 Alfa 156 JTD 16v
(Post Link) post #8 of 23 Old 18-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Interesting to see that some regard the issue as okay, while others tend to find it worrying. I carried out a few observations today, and found that there are lots of black deposits on the exhaust and was once a leak out of the sump plug. I haven't had a chance to look for blue smoke, I don't seem to remember seeing any.

The 156 is currently on 57K, and roughly doing 150-300 miles a week give or take 50 miles.
AO Member

County: Sharon
By the info you posted, it looks as though you run between 1,000 and 2,000 miles per Selenia liter which is not bad consumption and within spec. Regardless, it is best you measure it precisly to verify.
AO Member

I hate to prove Alfa Romeo and other car manufacturers wrong but the use of so much oil is excessive and marketing trick to avoid warranty replacements. In fact 1000 miles per liter is beyond the alarm limit for me and i would proceed to an engine repair as per BMP's suggestions.
AO Member

my jts uses 1l pr 1000 km on castrol 10-60, a bit less on agip 10-60. It has always used oil. Has recently had a cam replacement. No leaks. I replace oil in between 6000 and 10000 km.

Just top it up, and it'll be happy.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Had new rings and the bores glazed-busted when it was rebuilt in 2001 and now uses very little oil between 6000 mile changes (10W-40 semi synth).

One bore had a scratch which you could feel with a finger nail .. not deep but deep enough. All the rings were showing signs of fatigue and had tiny cracks developing.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
It's worth noting that Alfa changed the rings in March 2004. From anecdotal evidence on here, I think that oil consumption isn't such a problem after this date.

Last edited by SchrodingersCat; 25-08-14 at 17:58.
GSG
AO Member

Member car:

156 jts

My JTS uses a lit of oil too. its not leaking out so it must be burneing it. it passes MOT on emissions though, as long as it dcontinues to do so i wont worry about it,
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG View Post
My JTS uses a lit of oil too. its not leaking out so it must be burneing it. it passes MOT on emissions though, as long as it dcontinues to do so i wont worry about it,
Are you using 10W60?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
Had new rings and the bores glazed-busted when it was rebuilt in 2001 and now uses very little oil between 6000 mile changes (10W-40 semi synth).

One bore had a scratch which you could feel with a finger nail .. not deep but deep enough. All the rings were showing signs of fatigue and had tiny cracks developing.
Exactly my point
BMP
AO Member

Member car:

Mito 135 BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
It's worth noting that Alfa changed the rings in March 2004. From anecdotal evidence on here, I think that oil consumption isn't such a problem after this date.
I owned a 2006 TI 156 JTS it used 1 on 2000 km.

The workshop lifted the cilinderhead for cleaning, so i had a good look on the top of the pistons, the are very clean on the edges, that shows the exessive oil use.
Fruity likes this.

Last edited by BMP; 31-08-14 at 15:03.

County: Tel Aviv (Gosh Dan)

Member car:

I own a 2005 156jts and my car used around 1litter of oil every 2000k.
My local alfa mechanic has changed the oil piston rings for an aftermarket German ones.
Drove 10000 k Since then and not a single drop of oil lost. Revelation . But I do miss it sometimes..

More details on your piston rings please

Avi_lz - can you give us more details on the aftermarket piston rings that you had put in please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Polinelli View Post
Avi_lz - can you give us more details on the aftermarket piston rings that you had put in please?
can you tell us more about the piston rings you installed please?
AO Silver Member

The JTS uses oil for the reasons above. Drilling the pistons will be the most effective (I didn't do this because I didn't know). The drillings need to be chamfered to prevent cracking at high engine speeds.

The original rings are TS CF3 rings which are no use in the JTS.

Goetze (part of Federal Mogul) supply 3 piece (oil control) ring kits (as well as the 2 compression rings)-you will need 4, BTW. Part number is 08-145200-00 for these. I paid 110 for my engine's 4 piston ring sets which is about as cheap as can be hoped for.

FM catalogue link;
https://www.fmmotorparts.co.uk/

I searched by engine and went to simplified search then I input car details.

@avi_lz , unless your mechanic drilled the pistons, your oil consumption will return. Mine took 4000 miles to stabilise at 1 litre per 1000 miles/ 1600km. Before I carried out the overhaul, the engine was consuming a litre of Shell Helix Ultra 10W/60 in 600 miles. The engine had already been apart as it had the Goetze piston rings (oil control rings were 3 piece- not one which was OE design). My JTS was made December 2004.

It has become commonplace for petrol direct injection engines to have oil return drillings in the pistons to allow the oil to return to the sump. Without this, the amount of oil overwhelms the rings and is burnt off.

I am not aware of drilled pistons being available for the JTS so the original pistons must be modified.

Last edited by Fruity; 24-04-19 at 23:45.
AO Member

Garage
Check your air filter, if it has oil in it; a) that's where it's going, b) you have a problem with your turbo. I had a similar problem, and it turned out my turbo was p*ssing oil into the air filter :/
AO Silver Member

JTS has no turbo.
It is petrol direct injection.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , excessive , jts , oil

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page