JTDm GT - swirl flaps blanks... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 05-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Serbia

Member car:

GT JTDm + Q2

JTDm GT - swirl flaps blanks...

I want to prepare a proper blanks for the complete "deswirl" of GT JTDM plastic intake manifold. A simple question for those who have removed the flaps: What is the diameter of the hole that needs to be closed by blank (as in picture below) after the complete removal of the flaps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
when I did my ally manifold those plugs are tapered very slightly and were a very tight fit going into the manifold( even a brand new manifold , with the glue acting as a lube still took a g clamp to squeeze em in)
so unless someone who has done it and measured plugs very accurately you may end up risking cracking the manifold as you try to press a plug in.
I think those ally plugs have had a few size tweeks over the years due to such issues.
are you asking to make your own plugs or are you asking to order the right size plugs?
I had the older ally swirl manifold and replaced it with latest ally swirl manifold and deflapped it but id imagine that yours will be a different size again.
the bmw deswirl kits look to be a slacker fit with oring seal.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 05-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTDm + Q2

I want to make my own blanks (plugs) because of long delivery time and possibility that ordered blanks doesn't fit the holes (Murphy as you know )
Btw, I suppose that welding of blanks is better solution than insertion of sealed items, agree?
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
I don't know the specifics of the plastic manifold, arethe swirl flap bosses in the plastic or a section of ally?
I was tempted to get welded but cost would be same if not more than bought bung kit, unless you have access to lathe and welding equiptment.
if its all plastic id be tempted to make the bungs from plastic also just need a bit of knowledge on which plastic to use for good bond ?
hopefully someone whos done plastic manifold will reply, otherwise someone like autolussso may have old plastic manifold they can measure holes for you?
id copy request into tuning or other lounge as I never see many replies in here
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 05-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTDm + Q2

You are right sussexa - Autolusso performed "revitalization" of one engine with ruined compression and with plastic manifold and hope that he remember diameter...
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ml#post5055068
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 08-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTDm + Q2

Today, in local workshop, I removed swirl flaps from plastic (1.9 JTDm 16v, Euro4) intake manifold (Magnetti Marelli, No. 55202680 according to ePer). Procedure differs for variants with older full aluminium manifold and plastic+aluminium manifold...
a) All operation before removal of manifold are same for both variants (job of approx. two hours).
b) After removal of bottom aluminium part of manifold (connected with engine head) it is necessary to unmount electric-motor which drives swirls.
c) Next step is removing of plastic cover which protects mechanism for rotation of swirls (rack bar and little spring) and detach of rack.
d) The most important step is braking of metal swirls and extraction of swirl axles (see picture).
e) Four holes in manifold (7mm top and and 5mm bottom) you can blank with proper bolt (conical head, previously treated by adhesive) or by welding - I prefer welding.

Final results are very well - smooth driving performance in low RPM range, better acceleration and obviously high performance in top RPM end...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140808_144404.jpg (132.7 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by dusanGT; 08-08-14 at 21:30.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
blanks , flaps , jtdm , swirl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page