Cam Belt Tensioner - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 13-05-04 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Cam Belt Tensioner

2nd thread of a possible many!

Q4 cam belt needs the tensioner putting on but the wonderful workshop manual says I need tools 1.824.016.00 and 1.824.017.000 to tension the belt properly, do not know what these are and the illustration itnt too good either. See the attachment, may make more sence to you guys!

Can anyone out there instruct me to the best/safest way to tension it up?

Cheers for any help

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

marlon

Re: Cam Belt Tensioner

For the 8v engines (which are chain driven), you slacken the tensioner, roll the car forward about 10 feet while in 5th gear, then tighten the tensioner bolt. This is done with the engine and ignition off of course.
Maybe give Jimybob a PM as he might now being an Alfa/Fiat engine bloke.

Idea Re: Cam Belt Tensioner

It seems pretty standard fare to me. In a lot of cases you don't actually need the tension guages and the adjuster. As long as you can turn the tensioner to tighten the belt enough it should be ok. Experience should ensure you do not overtighten the belt though. Generally, there should be a little give in the belt on its longest run.

If it is too slack, the belt will vibrate and oscillate noticeably (on its longest run between pullies) with the engine running at around 1500rpm. (The belt covers must be off and the crankshaft pulley ON to see this.)

If the belt is too tight, as the engine warms up and engine speed is increased, the belt will begin to whine. (Sounds like a worn tensioner bearing).

Sounds a bit heath robinson I know, but I've only had 1 belt break prematurely (and that was only an injection pump belt so no engine damage)

If you're not confident get the right tools though!
wrinx

The tensioner is only a little tommy bar thing. It is easier with it but sure JB said he used a srewdriver or something like to turn it/apply tension. Usual rule of thumb for tension is about a quarter turn of the belt on its longest run.

wrinx

Nordic Blue

We made our own for the thema's which are the same engine but i guess two bolts in the tensioner holes and a big screw driver between them will get you out the poo.
But not a long term solution.

Isn't there a marking on the units now to show how to tension it using a monkey wrench? My mate said that it's something similar to..."tighten to allign two arrows, rotate crank shaft twice, loosen 1/4 turn, tighten to alligh marks 2 and 3..." or somewhat...
Nordic Blue

McGuinn i think your mate is talking about the 16v ts Alfa Engine and not the Q4 engine which is the Fiat/Alfa/Lancia engine.

Oh.. OK... Drive ON!
jimybob

the Q4 has a plain bearing tensioner that has two holes init, the proper tool is a bar about 11" long with two studs in one end that locate in the bearing and at the other end it has another length about 11" long at right angles(like a giant L) you suppose to put a weight on the top of the bar halfway along.......blah blah blah blah.

right easy way,
tighten up the nut just enough to stop it moving then get your screwdriver into one of the little holes and tap it round until you can twist the belt by 90,degrees if it slips back do up the nut a bit more.

jimybob

the Q4 belts whine a bit anyway but dont over do it,you want a good 90,deg twist after youve rotated the engine twice after tensioning it.

(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 15-05-04 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Cheers jimybob, take it that when the belt is tensioned at its 90 degrees I should do the tensioner bolt up tight to ensure it doesnt move back at all
First job tomorrow it is then
jimybob

yep do it up tight.

(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 16-05-04 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

All done today, tensioned and turning over on the ignition and im happy to see petrol pumping through! The old oil is like chocolate colour, not good, needs a good clean through me thinks!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belt , cam , tensioner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page