Alternator Belt Problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Duetto

Alternator Belt Problem

Brief "Italian tune up" last weekend ended rather suddenly with the alternator belt being thrown off my 2.0-16V. The AA couldn't find a spare belt but managed to re-fit what was left of the old one (reduced to about 3/4 of it's original width as one side had shredded.

Attempting to fit a new belt this afternoon but I can't get it to stay in the right groove going round the alternator.

As soon as I start the engine the belt seems to skip by one groove just on the alternator so that it's running just over the edge of the pulley.

Anybody had this problem before ?. I'm wondering if I've bent the tensioner pulley out of position somehow. It's spring loaded but it was hard work trying to get the new belt on whilst taking up the tension in the spring.

Dave.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Alternator Belt Problem

It almost sounds as though your alternator is`nt aligned correctly

Have you had it changed recently??if so did they fit the right one

The other thing to check is if the mountings for the alternator are tight and secure..................in case its sitting slightly off set caused by loose bolts other than that is the bottom pulley straight????
AO Member

Idea Re: Alternator Belt Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed freak
other than that is the bottom pulley straight????
Or the bolts that hold the bottom pulley have come loose???????????
John R

Not trying to be funny but have you got a 7 groove belt or a 6groove belt and does the number of grooves match the number of channels on the main pully and other pulleys?
( had a load of trouble with my 97 2.0 16v after an alternator change, seemed to be caused by the listed belt being a seven groove and the main pulley being a six groove, it threw 2 belts, I changed the main pully to a seven channel type and I have had no problems since..). The belt that was fitted before the alternator change must have been a narrower guage or the new alternator was a wider guage which caused some misalignmet that caused it to throw the belts..
hope this helps
FGN

Nordic Blue

Somebody ask me for a main pulley it mighht have been FGn and they were having this same problem but didn't need it after all it was just the wrong belt.
This seems to be a regular problem with being supplied 6 and 7 ribbed belts so ensure you check your groves and try changing the belt to the other one.

Ted

Duetto

Didn't think to count the grooves till after I put back together last night but the belt seemed to fit everywhere o.k. Alternator hasn't been changed at all. Hoped that the belt would hold out for a while driving gently but it only lasted about 4 miles before that "slap slap" sound of the belt coming off Have driven it straight to the Alfa dealers at Gatwick now (bit heavy with no power steering) to let them have a look. I think the tensionor pulley must be out of position somehow as looking down from the top it didn't seem to line up very well. Will have to wait and see now.
Dave.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
alternator , belt , problem

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page