Aux belt problem? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

John R

Aux belt problem?

Should the 2.0 16v have a 7 groove main pulley or a 6 groove pulley?
Mine has 6 on the main and 7 everywhere else....according to my garage
The aux belt stripped some of the ribs of its side and I have been told that my engine has the wrong pulley is this correct? and could this cause it to strip?
This is the second time in about six months that this has happened, is there any other possible cause?
FGN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nordic Blue

Re: Aux belt problem?

Is this the pulley off the crank?
Well mine has 7 and my spare one has 7 as to the belts have 7.
I guess you'll want my spare one then.
the other reason for wear is if the crank pulley has not been put back on square thus giving a wobble and a rub action on the edge of the belt.

Ted

John R

Had the alternator replaced in July 2003, if this is not aligned properly, could it cause the same problem ?
FGN

The alternator could damage the belt if it`s out of line
John R

The garage that fitted the alternator are telling me the reason its stripping belts is due to the main crank pulley being too narrow and nothing to do with the alternator that was fitted six months ago.
I had a new aux belt on the car not long after I bought it(done as a matter of routine with cambelts).
10 months later my alternator siezed, so I had a new alternaotor and aux belt.
2 months later the belt stripped a couple of ribs, the garage thought it was a dodgy belt (I sugggested mis-alligned alternator) they fitted a genuine alfa belt instead of another gates one, and checked the belt 2-3 weeks later to see if there was any evidence of excessive wear...which there wasn't.
Anyhoo last week it stripped another belt, about 3 months after the last one.
Now you know the full picture. I have no problem with fitting the 7 groove pulley, but I'm not convinced that this is causing my belt trouble.....I still think its the alternator, but they seem loath to replace it with another new one.
The garage has gone out of thier way to rectify the fault and help me when I have been left stranded but I dont know what to do next...
Any more suggestions?
FGN

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
aux , belt , problem

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page