Timing Belt skipping after 11k - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 17-10-03 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

156 2.5 Q-system

Timing Belt skipping after 11k

This is just great! After a top job, 11,000km later and the belt slips when the engine was cranked. Before that the fuel pump failed! How could this happen?

Result - 8 bent intake valves. Another top job again! This time I went ahead with a total overhaul of the engine.

This is the advice from local Alfa gurus. Change the water pump with every 2nd timing belt change. Any comments?

I cannot figure how it happened as it just slipped about 4 notches. The smooth side of the belt had a slight tear and 2 of the teeth of the belt was ripped slightly on the far side facing the cam-belt cover.

My variator is making diesel sounds when starting (but not in the morning) but it will go off after about 8 seconds. Is this a cause for worry? Will it seize the cam and therefore rip the belt?

I love the car but these are the instances when I just want to blow it up with C4!

Besides setting me back financially, really setting me back like fix the car or 3 meals a day, flip a coin that sort of thing, there's this huge frustration and my temper is off the roof nowadays.

See what a car can do to a man!

Crap, here's the bill! Suppose I should be glad it is not in Euro!

Angry, frustrated, fuming Alfa owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nigel S

You have all my sympathy mate. My water pump just set off a chain reaction that saw the end of 16 valves!

graham williams

Hi Kenneth sorry to here your trouble,been there .
My tension wheel went at about 32000 a couple of years ago and i was advised at the time to replace the water pump[not to dear]so i replaced everything at the business end just to be safe.
I changed the variator at the same time ,i do not think it causes anymore trouble other than noise/slight power loss that little lot cost 1700ouch, if you are keeping the car for any time my advice would be change anything that moves.

Graham 16v sport pack

(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 22-10-03 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

156 2.5 Q-system

Hmmm, anyone else with this belt skipping problem? How much does a 1.8TS 16v belt cost around the world? Is there a particular brand to avoid.

Besides the tensioners and the water-pump, what else could seize the cam-belt? Don't want a repeat of this. Have to get it right this time.

Even as I write,they are about to start the car after an overhaul to change all piston rings and the damaged valves, guides etc. Any last advice before I turn the key?

kenneth
jimybob

it is quite possible for small stones to get inside the case and get stuck under the belt.

Ouch- that is a sickener. Sorry to hear about your belt problems. The water pump bit is probably just a wise precaution but they usually rumble before they go. Either that they just leak.

The noisy variator should be changed but I've not heard of one self destructing. The only other point which springs to mind is the tensioner. It has been set correctly hasn't it? ie that is is pretentioned and the pointer is in right postion which indicates correct preload. Other than that, just check the condition of the pullies to ensure none are damaged, worn, misaligned or distorted- unlikely.

A final point- did the condition of the belt indicate incorrect tension or another fault?
I've just done belt, tensione and variator on my 1.8 16v- but the belt was renewed just before I got the car. The variator started to get noisy so it just wasn't worth trying to save a few pounds. I'd always do the lot.

Best of luck this time

Ally

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
11k , belt , skipping , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page