Cambelt change advice please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

narlo

Cambelt change advice please

Have purchased cam + balencer shaft belts plus tensioners.
bought cam locks, should be here tomorrow(they said that aweek ago ..)
have changed belts on virtually every car Ive owned, although I get the impression alfa would sooner U didn't work on them....no workshop manual..
Any pearls of wisdom from anyone whose done this before..
Hopefully if we can demistify what is a simple job on most cars...Icant imagine alfas any different we (me included) wont keep putting it off .
Any comments /advice apreciated.

caio 4 now....Narlo...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jimybob

make sure you use the correct colour caps for your engine size,when you fit the caps DONT do up the bolts any tighter than just nip them because you will strip the threads on the head.also get the caps on the right way round and also make sure when you put the cam caps back you get them the right way round...after you have done run the engine for a minute and re-check the pointer on the cam belt tensioner,but beware, deppending on how the engine stops the tensioner may look slack so make sure you turn the engine over by hand a bit to bring all the slack back round to the tensioner side.

thats it good luck.

narlo

Cheers JB...
Great didn't think it could be that complicated will get stuck in when locking tools come from fiat/alfa... noticed Uput good luck eek! eek!
...narlo....

Chris155

Fair do's narlo you're brave. If you want me to post you a photocopy of the relevant section from the Alfa service manual send me an e-mail to; [email protected] otherwise good luck.

el gringo

Hi Narlo,

there should be a tech article (with piccies!) on replacing the cambelt/variator etc on this site soon. I know because I sent it to Henry Yorke some time ago, but he's been kept busy with all kinds of automotive misery, so you'll all have to be patient for a little bit longer...

lespix

Hi all, personally I wouldn't attempt them myself even with the cam-locks.

Gotta take off crankshaft pulley and stuff, also I believe you need a tension guage of some sort, and a DTI gauge.

Check out what happens when it goes wrong at http://www.alfa155troubles.co.uk

You're a braver man than me!!

BTW Mine cost about 70 for fitting belts and timing up, it's not a long job apparently.

let us know how you get on

Regards

AO Silver Member

Member car:

155 Q4

2 hrs 10 mins in alfas book.
el gringo

It's a straightforward job IF you have the camlocks. True, you have to remove the crankshaft pulley, but only the pulley for the poly-V belt. It's held on by four bolts, is keyed and it's a loose fit (no press/puller). Piece of cake.
You DON'T need any special gauges for setting the tension, as the tensioners have tension indicators built into them. Setting the tension is a bit fiddly without the special tools, but definitely doable.
And it's a very satisfying job to do yourself!

lespix

hi el gringo.

But do you need a DTI gauge, I am led to believe you cant find exact TDC without this.

regards

narlo

Cheers guys,
I think im still going 2 do the job as i dont like the idea of owning a car im 2 scared 2 work on.
I'll take U up on your offer Chris155 "top man"
ulterativly Henry are U around ? havent seen many postings lately Any chance of a sneek preview of the cambelt article!? wink
Im suprised alfa (or someone else) havent addressed the plastic (chocolate!!!)pulley yet Im sure ive seen a pulley that size in alloy or steel on something else toyota water pump?...part of the reason for doing it myself is Alfa now advise cambelt change every 35000 (makes U think they know there's a problem! eek! )think i'll have alook every year...
Still waiting for locking tools me thinks if they keep me waiting any longer maybe they would like 2 lend me theirs over the weekend....
cheers again all
.......narlo.....

wrinx

I was chatting to Henry a while back and he thinks the oil feed for the variator is the problem. It needs uprating to the 156 version and all the variator issues should be solved....anyone else heard of this?

wrinx

el gringo

Hi Wrinx,

any idea what the difference is between the 155 version of the oil feed (you mean the solenoid valve in the inlet manifold?) and the 156 version?

And Lespix, you're right that the manual states you will need a DTI gauge, but I used the markings in the lower timing belt cover and the poly-V belt pulley for the alternator/PSpump belt. It seems to have worked fine, as the engine is running very well indeed! If you are uncomfortable with this approach, there is a trick to determine TDC with a piece of steel rod, a ruler and sliding calipers.

wrinx

Gringo, cant remember the full details but it was something like the oil feed for the 156 is bigger/stronger and therefore less likely to cause problems...........hopefully Henry will come along and explain it better as he has fitted the modification.

wrinx

Paulxlewis

Hi wrinx, did you know that alfa actually have a modification for the problems of a cam variators being noisy on the 156, yes all they want you to do is remove the cylinder head and fit a one way valve in the oil gallery, they even bought a service news out about it.well i wouldn,t fancy it anyway ,what if it got blocked up ?also imagine the bill for a customer for fitting such a part. also did you know that they are still using the same crappy timing belt tensioner on the new 156 jts engines.DO THEY EVER LEARN? Paul P.S. i expect the same valve could be fitted to a 155

There is a diffierent oil flow in the cam to the variator. The variator fills with engine oil from a little hole in the cam. If you fit a new variator, it sounds terrible until the variator fills up. There is the service article on it at www.alfa155.co.uk (now updated back to the original page)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
advice , cambelt , change

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page