Balancer shaft belt. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 29-01-03 Thread Starter

Balancer shaft belt.

There's a strange noise coming from within my engine, sounds like something flapping around, a bit like a snapped belt spininning round a pulley.
As the engine still runs I conclude that it can't be the cambelt, thank god, but I presume it's the belt for the balancer shaft. is it a fairly straight-forward job to remove this belt, I understand the engine will still run ok, without it.
I'm currently saving up to get the belts/variator changed in a few months time and will get it replaced then.
What's involved in removing the belt, will a set of screwdrivers and a socket set do it or will I need to expand my toolkit a bit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Byron

Dont know about how to change or even whether engine will run; but last year about this time I had what may have been a similar noise and on my way to get it investigated and cambelt/variator changed the engine blew; we never did work out exactly why but the balancer shaft belt was implicated....Lee Penn at Rossi (now gone FI racing) deduced this from the mangled remains and bent balancer shaft. Delay? I wouldn't! Was expensive then - recon engine (which turned out not to be as its oil pump later failed) and as engines are rarer than hens teeth these days it could be expensive

James
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 29-01-03 Thread Starter

Cheers James,

yeah, I'd already decided that there's no way I'm running this engine until I've got the remains of the belt out of it, apparently the flailing bits of belt can knock the cambelt off leading to the catastrophic failure you experienced.
Of course if I can't do it myself I've got the problem of transporting the vehicle to the nearest garage.
bw

I am worried about my balancer shaft belt at the moment too because I think the tensioner has seen better days - currently pooling resources and the spare time to get it sorted.

I had wondered about just removing the belt until I can get to a suitable mechanic (I can't go back to my local Alfa dealer, for political reasons wink ), although ultimately I would not want to spend too long driving around without it. so...

Quote:
What's involved in removing the belt
A sharp knife!? Once the cover is off, presumably you can just cut it? Don't know what's required for getting the cover off though, and I may be oversimplifying this - so please don't take my word for it....can anyone confirm this as a good/terribly bad approach!?

Tim Hayes

Unless you know what you are doing, don't arse around with any of it. Sorry to be blunt, but if you want to see the potential that this can cause I'll send you one of my valves that has two 90 degree bends in it (I've got 16 of them). I can't show you the head as this was so mangled it was melted for scrap.

If you are in Nottingham, take a trip on the road to Lincoln to BLS Automotive, or up to Hope Valley to see Peak Alfa....

jimybob

well you could just take off the cover and cut it off but i wouldnt do it unless you know what your doing.if the balance belt has gone then its also time you changed the timing belt as well...

BTW DONT use (or even start) the car untill its fixed.

jimybob

i have a fiat coupe turbo thats just come in with a broken belt..... eek! i will post piccys of the damage when ive got it to bits. eek!

jimybob

this is the damage on the coupe you can just see 8 bent valves there are in fact 12 bent and a set of exhaust valves only is 315.!!!!

(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 03-02-03 Thread Starter

Finally got to look at my car this weekend in the daylight, and the problem was immediately obvious.
It wasn't the balancer shaft belt at all, I had the auxillary belt and tensioner changed a fortnight ago and the new belt has frayed along one edge and the noise came from the frayed bits flapping as it goes round, so back to the garage for them to sort it out properly.
The garage had the nerve to write to me this week as well to say that they'd miscalculated the VAT on my invoice and could I drop in the additional 7 I owed them!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
balancer , belt , shaft

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page