Broken cambelt!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Spike Q4

Broken cambelt!!!

Hi drivers!

I did it! I broke the cambelt of my 140kw Q4, and (i guess it is) the compensation shaft belt as well. Those final sounds!!

How many valves could be damaged? Which parts could be seriously damaged as well? Pistons? The compensation shaft and the crankshaft (due to an eventual collision)? Or even more?

Is anybody experienced in that kind of fun? Do you have some tips or some documentation disponible?

Drove a Ritmo 130TC before, but working on that Alfa is soo much passioning!

THANKS! mailto[email protected][email protected]</A>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Thomas G

I just want to say :I'm sorry for you.I think this kind of problem is expenzive.I don't have any experience with this engine,but let's hope that not to much is "bent".

AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0

To say it with a few words, you wrecked your engine, condolences
Rob155

Look on the bright side Spike, here's a chance to uprate many major engine components! I guess you'll be looking for it to produce more than 140kw when the rebuild is complete?

No no no no no no!

No good. It's a common problem with those engines as they have stiff valve springs and a cam belt originally dimesioned for 8 valves. It is not likely your engine has survived without damages. One out of 10-15 cam belt disasters has a lucky end ...

A friend of mine has the same experience and it happend after only 34000 km! I think it costed his insurance company 4000 Euro to fix it. It was fixed and then he sold the car. In any case you are had to remove the cylinder head and check the valves. If the damages are moderate you don't have to waorry about the bottom, but if any of the pistons are heavily damaged you have to check it all. But I recommend you to take your car to a serious mechanic and let him take a look at the engine. If you find at total valve jam even the turbine could have been destroyed and the rebuild might be more expensive than your insurance company consider the value of the car to be!!!!

Advice: Change the belts every 30000 km. According to Alfa Romeo you chould do it every 60000 km, but that might be too late. Belts and all three "run-wheels" costs approximately 150 Euro. You don't necessary have to change the wheels, but if you can hear or fel the balls in the ball bearings you have to because particuarly the cam belt wheel is the major problem. But also the balance shaft belt + wheels could damage the cam belt as they run close to each other.

I wish you good luck

/A. Möller

Spike Q4

Thank you guys, especially for your compassion!

But i also liked the more technical informations .
Rob: I tryed the link you gave me (www.newreg.co.uk), but i couldn't find there any information about Alfa spare parts. Could you give me the exact link?
OK, gonna start to remake the engine with much patience now. Gonna see what happens.

Dom

What a bummer my german friend, i can almost relate to your anguish and im sure my dad could as well as he did that not just once but TWICE!! on his lanncia thema 2.0L 16V

Oh yes many a summer evening spent regrinding those valve seats while all the other kids where playing football.

Hopefully you might just get away with bent valves. Even that aint cheap

Spike Q4

By the way...

...it's out off critical condition

It's been mere child's play

Let's race....Spike

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
broken , cambelt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page