Twinspark cam sensor change without the need to remove belts or pulleys solved ! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By reveds1969

reveds1969

Twinspark cam sensor change without the need to remove belts or pulleys solved !

Twinspark cam sensor change without the need to remove belts or pulleys solved !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I would share my new method of changing the cam sensor without the need to remove pulleys or timing belt.
1, Remove the coil pack cover.
2, Remove the coil pack assy.
3, Remove the camshaft cover.
4, This is the key to the whole procedure remove the variator seal shell / exhaust seal cap it gives clearance to rotate the sensor clockwise as the cap actually stops rotation due to it sticking out further than the head.
5, Now make sure you have the cut-out in the exhaust pulley pointing upwards.
6, Remove the two bolts fixing the sensor in place being carefully not to drop the screws I magnetised my Allen key.
7, Disconnect the sensor plug on the inlet plenum also removing it from the the back of the water pump and leave it hanging from the sensor. Or just cut it at the sensor and pull it out as it's scrap anyway.
8, Now move the sensor in a clock wise direction following the rib /track on the back of the exhaust pulley until it is at the top of the pulley and hey presto it's out without removing a single belt or pulley.
9, Put some masking tape over the inner faces of the new cam sensor to protect them and then at the top of the pulley put the sensor onto the track and following the track anti clockwise until it's in position with the little locating peg on the back of the sensor located put the two fastenings back in.
10, Then route your cable back through the gap behind the belt and pump and reconnect at plenum.
11, Refit the remaining parts removed earlier remembering to remove the tape by rotating the pulley back round so you can see the sensor through the pulley cut-out and pick the tape out.
The tape will have also acted like a levelling shim to ensure the sensor is clear of the track.
12, Now think how much money you have just saved yourself fitting it yourself without having to worry about buying another timing kit and setting the timing.

I really hope this helps others I have tried this over and over tonight and it is faultless apart from me trying to explain it probably.
Davetech74 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Rogaland
Quote:
Originally Posted by reveds1969 View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I would share my new method of changing the cam sensor without the need to remove pulleys or timing belt.
1, Remove the coil pack cover.
2, Remove the coil pack assy.
3, Remove the camshaft cover.
4, This is the key to the whole procedure remove the variator seal shell / exhaust seal cap it gives clearance to rotate the sensor clockwise as the cap actually stops rotation due to it sticking out further than the head.
5, Now make sure you have the cut-out in the exhaust pulley pointing upwards.
6, Remove the two bolts fixing the sensor in place being carefully not to drop the screws I magnetised my Allen key.
7, Disconnect the sensor plug on the inlet plenum also removing it from the the back of the water pump and leave it hanging from the sensor. Or just cut it at the sensor and pull it out as it's scrap anyway.
8, Now move the sensor in a clock wise direction following the rib /track on the back of the exhaust pulley until it is at the top of the pulley and hey presto it's out without removing a single belt or pulley.
9, Put some masking tape over the inner faces of the new cam sensor to protect them and then at the top of the pulley put the sensor onto the track and following the track anti clockwise until it's in position with the little locating peg on the back of the sensor located put the two fastenings back in.
10, Then route your cable back through the gap behind the belt and pump and reconnect at plenum.
11, Refit the remaining parts removed earlier remembering to remove the tape by rotating the pulley back round so you can see the sensor through the pulley cut-out and pick the tape out.
The tape will have also acted like a levelling shim to ensure the sensor is clear of the track.
12, Now think how much money you have just saved yourself fitting it yourself without having to worry about buying another timing kit and setting the timing.

I really hope this helps others I have tried this over and over tonight and it is faultless apart from me trying to explain it probably.

Awesome guide, i need to change it and i have just changed the timing belt one month ago so i hoped to find a way to change it withouy buying a new belt and adjuster pulley.
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
Indeed, so long as it was not the metal ring on the pulley which destroyed the previous and doesn't need the metal made true again? .... Then it is a great solution to this issue ........if and only if, there hasn't been a ham fisted belt change and the exhaust cam tightened without correct tool. The end result is the metal ring that runs between sensor in a very small gap destroys the sensor meaning only cure is pulley removal.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belts , cam , change , pulleys , remove , sensor , solved , twinspark

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page