156 JTDm Sump trashed! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 24-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: South Ayrshire
156 JTDm Sump trashed!

Hi guys!

I took a drive up to the North of Scotland, carefully avoiding potholes and bumps, but the inevitable happened - I had to drive over a rock - just as a van was in the oncoming lane!

A definite crunch followed by an immediate oil light tells me that my sump and Oil Pickup pipe are toast!

I coasted to a 'safe' parking space and watched the sump hemorrhage the rest of it's oil.

I've got in touch with Ned at Autolusso - so I've sourced replacements - wot I need to know is if anyone has done a similar replacement - and did they check the big end bearings? and if so what is the thoughts?

Thanks

Dougie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
how long was the engine running with the oil light on??

def. a good idea to check the bottom end bearings and journals while the sump is off..
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 15-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: South Ayrshire
Update!

Ok time for an update!

Thanks to Autolusso, i was able to get a sump, pickup & new set of big end bearings - got the old sump off - real pig to get the bolt located below the driveshaft support, and the two bolts at the gearbox housing looked bloody impossible - glad some guru in Fiat decided to cut a scallop out of the flywheel to gain access to the bolts
The sump eventually came off - turns out that the pick up was fine!
taking each bearing cap off in turn showed that the were worn - but not thro the white metal - so I reckon it was more to do with the 172K and less to do with no oil

fitted the bearings, sump and changed oil filter too - no expense spared here

fired up and run well - 500 miles later on still goin well - nearly run in now.
AO Member

Dougie, you reminded me of a similar incident I had.

Driving through Germany a few years ago on the autobahn, doing about 130Km/hr I managed to hit a 2 foot section RSJ (T-Section profile). By the time I spotted it I only had a fraction of a second to respond and steered to have it pass under the middle of my fully loaded SW. But it hit and oil immediately covered the rear windscreen followed by the Stop Engine Low Oil Level warning. Fortunately I was able to coast into a nearby lay-by and stop the engine. On examination my aluminium sump guard was sliced through at the back with a big hole on the sump and brake pipes flattened.

Once back home we stripped the bottom end down in-situ, checked the big ends only and replaced the bent sump oil pick up pipe, then fitted the new very expensive sump, being careful not to wipe off the gasket paste here and there, this was a bit fiddly to align.
We used extra long ribe bits for the difficult to reach clutch end of the sump bolts.

Its been 6 years and apart from running the GQV between using the 156 SW its been 100%, no oil leaks or indication of bearing or cylinder related oil starvation issues With 178K miles and at least 35 to 40K of those since the RSJ incident.

The JTD engines I just love, they for me give very good reliability and economy, with it seems the added bonus of being tolerant to short term lubrication issues, just a shame the sump on the 5 stroker had to be inclined down and low.

CannonBall UK

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , jtdm , sump , trashed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page