2.0 TS (AR 32310) balancing belt - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-03-14 Thread Starter

County: Tbilisi

Member car:

Formula Alfa

2.0 TS (AR 32310) balancing belt

Hi everyone.
I was wondering whether it is necessary to have the balance belt installed on a TS engine. I know it rotates counter balances but I have the engine in a single seater therefore a bit of extra performance would be beneficiary. Will it harm the engine significantly if I remove the balance belt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

It will produce more vibration without it.
If you also remove the balance shafts, then I'm sure you also need to block the oil feeds to their bearings.

Many people will say they couldn't tell the difference when they removed the belt on a road car, but that is probably because the belt wasn't timed properly to start with!!
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
I recently found my balance belt in shreds under my timing belt cover and have since done 6000 miles without it. Whilst the engine is not as smooth as the other 2.0 tsparks i have owned it is not that bad. Up to 5000 it is like any other tspark but once it passess that rpm it feels a little harsh.

If you are building a single seater anyway i would rebuilt the engine. Completely remove the balance shafts and balance the piston/rod assemblies. That should get rid of the vibrations.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
balancing , belt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page