156JTS 2002 model, OBD Code-Reader required... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 05-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

75 2litre TS

156JTS 2002 model, OBD Code-Reader required...

Hi, I am looking to buy an OBD Code-Reader, hoping that it will let me diagnose maladies such as the MCSF error my car has right now. :-( Can anyone recommend a seller/make&model please? I see that one shows on eBay, but it is in Hong-Kong, and I have my suspicions about quality and effectiveness. And then I see what seem to be cables, that would hook-up to my laptop, as they are OBD one end, and USB the other. Ohhh-Great. I've had my Windows8 lappie for about a year now, and it's not the most friendly or logical device to hook up with things. Connecting to an Epsom printer took some WEEKS before it would work - and I'm not a Luddite, for sure.
Even with a Reader or a cable connecting, do I also need a CD-rom or download of the 156's error-codes? Again, please can you point me towards a reliable source, and tell me which version I need?

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
This has been covered a few times on here - a search should turn up more detail. Basically the JTS is e-obd compliant so any generic e-obd code reader will work for engine codes. Also if you have a smart phone you can use various apps to do the same thing plus some more functions. You need an ELM-327 Bluetooth obd device to connect, but it's straight forward stuff. All these options are cheap, apps ranging from free to a few $ for example. These options just read engine codes, no airbag, ABS, etc.

If you want to do a bit more and you want to use your laptop then check out Multi-ECUscan.

Oh - and the e-obd codes are standardised so no need to download anything 156 specific. The Torque app I use tells you the code and what it means ie. P0301 misfire cylinder 1, etc. ice and easy.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156jts , 2002 , codereader , model , obd , required

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page