De CAT's, MOT's and the Law. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 03-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
De CAT's, MOT's and the Law.

I'm asking this to all the Petrol/CAT equipped sections of the forum as not all of us frequent the other sections.

There appears to be somewhat of a fuelled hysteria knee jerk panic attack over DPF removal. So who better to ask the question to than all you petrol heads who have had this legal requirement to deal with for years.

DPF removal is being discussed at great length (on the 159/Brera forums) but with even less detail and specific inspection criteria as of this morning. However there are certain similarities with the introduction of petrol car CAT testing that I struggle with and maybe some of you could explain this to me. CAT's on spark ignition have been a requirement and formed part of the MOT inspection for more years than I care to remember so should be well implemented and enforced one would assume by now.

So the question I have is how can petrol vehicles which have had the Pre CATS and/or CAT's removed still pass MOT inspection ? Ι do not mean just emissions, because they obviously do even with one set of cats.

Is this just a case of testers turning a blind eye or is there another agenda here.

With all this fuelled hysteria over DPF's, MOT's, Insurance and type approval what are all you petrol owners doing ?

Shouldn't you be worried that your cars are just as "illegal" as some people are trying to convince us diesel owners that ours are? "

The "Alfatune" full works
60mm Core Full size RS500 FMIC
AEM W/M Injection
Koni struts / Novitec springs
Grooved & Dimpled discs and pads
19" Prodrive wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Halo's HID's & LED's
Hub dyno'd at well over 500lbft at the wheels ! and that's limited.
Thats over 750 Nm for you figure fiddlers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Scott_Jarvis

Evening, First off, I would like to show you this, its from the "Vehicle and Operator Services Agency" if you can Open it, https://www.facebook.com/groups/dmccgroup/
2nd image down the page from 'Nick J Manning'

but if not it says, and I Quote "Presence of Catalysts and Particulate Filters on Diesel Powered vehicles"

Last edited by Scott_Jarvis; 03-02-14 at 21:08.

AO Member

County: West Midlands
If the vehicle should have a cat or a dpf filter fitted and it has been removed then it will fail the mot. This is the view of VOSA. any modification that can greatly affect the emmisions is a fail
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
Their can be other issues with DPF removal and remapping. A 3 litre jag xf diesel that we service had its DPF cored and egr deleted and the car was remapped to sort the missing items and also produce extra power. THe car came to us at the beginning of this week as the brake pad warning light was on, we put the car on the ramp removed wheels and checked for wear as it was the rear pads that were worn the car had to be put on SDD to put the handbrake in service position. when we did this that was when the problems started the cars configeration systems corrupted themselves and the car shut itself down!! We could do nothing to sort it so it went to the main dealers where its configaration files were downloaded direct from Jaguar cars it now either has to have a new DPF or go back to the remapper to screw the car up again!! The customer is less than happy not with us but the guys that clearly didnt know what a complicated car they were dealing with.

Peter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1405
County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterboat View Post
Their can be other issues with DPF removal and remapping. A 3 litre jag xf diesel that we service had its DPF cored and egr deleted and the car was remapped to sort the missing items and also produce extra power. THe car came to us at the beginning of this week as the brake pad warning light was on, we put the car on the ramp removed wheels and checked for wear as it was the rear pads that were worn the car had to be put on SDD to put the handbrake in service position. when we did this that was when the problems started the cars configeration systems corrupted themselves and the car shut itself down!! We could do nothing to sort it so it went to the main dealers where its configaration files were downloaded direct from Jaguar cars it now either has to have a new DPF or go back to the remapper to screw the car up again!! The customer is less than happy not with us but the guys that clearly didnt know what a complicated car they were dealing with.

Peter
Mmmhhhh...sending a modified car to a main dealer is usually asking for trouble...
Sounds like it should go to a tuner that actually knows what he's doing instead of a 'mapper' filling his ECU with crap.

AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
The problem for people is that how do they know the wheat from the chaff? as it happens the man that did the work (egr dpf removal and remap) has done many other jags but didnt realise the complexity of the XF. The car is a dead un at the moment the repairs are going to be more than the car is worth!! the dead modules cant be recovered and any attempt to fit modules unless it all of them will lead in more duff modules!! according to jag the car is designed not to be played with

Peter
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy1 View Post
So the question I have is how can petrol vehicles which have had the Pre CATS and/or CAT's removed still pass MOT inspection ? Ι do not mean just emissions, because they obviously do even with one set of cats.
In most cases they won't ... now the system is even easier. If there was a cat and the pipe has been replaced with a decat pipe .. fail ... if the cat box is empty ... fail ... and obviously the emissions test needs to be passed. As the emissions test is linked to the MOT computer system, you can't pass unless it's been run on a second car

So for most people it leave well alone ... or have spares in the garage and be prepared to swap in and out ...

As I know people do with dodgy number plates now. Saw the same car last week with illegal plates on Tuesday, legal on Weds and back to illegal Thursday ... he's still risky a pull and on-the-spot ticket though.

cheers, Gary

HIS: ex-1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray. 10th Sep 1998 to 12th Jan 2017

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cat , law , mot

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page