Don't blank the EGR! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 24-01-14 Thread Starter
Unregistered

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

Don't blank the EGR!

This morning I have spent stripping down a 1.9 JTDm to remove the shattered pieces of one of these Link removed - until you can prove the part is from that specific manufacturer, if you insist on blanking off the EGR because your garage doesn't know how to service a diesel engine properly then for christ sakes use STEEL and NOT ALUMINIUM, I am now about to finish my lunch and put this engine back together, I'm just so glad that aluminium is magnetic... NOT!

Aluminium and exhaust gasses do not mix, a simple theory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
Ohh bugger.

Have you got it all out ?
Hope none has been ingested in to the manifold or even worse the engine.

Last edited by coxy1; 24-01-14 at 13:22.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellysocks View Post
This morning I have spent stripping down a 1.9 JTDm to remove the shattered pieces of one of these, if you insist on blanking off the EGR because your garage doesn't know how to service a diesel engine properly then for christ sakes use STEEL and NOT ALUMINIUM, I am now about to finish my lunch and put this engine back together, I'm just so glad that aluminium is magnetic... NOT!

Aluminium and exhaust gasses do not mix, a simple theory.
Are you saying one of our blanking plates has damaged the engine??

We make our plates thick so this would not happen, our blanking plates are all marked Autolusso across them

Ned

Last edited by Autolusso; 24-01-14 at 12:56.
(Post Link) post #4 of 19 Old 24-01-14 Thread Starter
Unregistered

Member car:

I was using the link as an example of an aluminium plate, the one which has let go was about 3mm thick, but unfortunately I cant see any markings on it as it is now in about 500 pieces, anyway then as your here, who's bright idea was it to use aluminium in one of the hottest areas of an engine? Have you not heard of work hardening? Something aluminium is not very resistant too.
(Post Link) post #5 of 19 Old 24-01-14 Thread Starter
Unregistered

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy1 View Post
Ohh bugger.

Have you got it all out ?
Hope none has been ingested in to the manifold or even worse the engine.
Sadly it was, I'm in the process of changing the Valve seats on #s 3 + 4, plus the turbo vanes are mangled, so a new one of those too, unfortunately the guy who owns the car bought it already blocked off and no paper trail to who did it, anyway, hopefully this mess will all be sorted out by tomorrow evening and he'll be whizzing round with a nice clean EGR, MAP and inlet manifold.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
I was using the link as an example of an aluminium plate, the one which has let go was about 3mm thick, but unfortunately I cant see any markings on it as it is now in about 500 pieces, anyway then as your here, who's bright idea was it to use aluminium in one of the hottest areas of an engine? Have you not heard of work hardening? Something aluminium is not very resistant too.
That's what happens when you put a blanking plate in without mapping the EGR out of the ECU, blanking plate is just to ensure the valve stays fully closed

Alex why don't you just fix the car rather then gobbing off

Anyway I thought you were banned from Alfaowner?

Ned

Last edited by Autolusso; 24-01-14 at 17:22. Reason: spelling
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Sadly it was, I'm in the process of changing the Valve seats on #s 3 + 4, plus the turbo vanes are mangled, so a new one of those too, unfortunately the guy who owns the car bought it already blocked off and no paper trail to who did it, anyway, hopefully this mess will all be sorted out by tomorrow evening and he'll be whizzing round with a nice clean EGR, MAP and inlet manifold.
Gutted !
Would not really want to start to add that bill up I would imagine the owner is suicidal.
I know my blanking plate is a nice piece of profiled stainless steel and would not of been fit otherwise.

I too find aluminium a very very strange choice of material to use.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy1 View Post
Gutted !
Would not really want to start to add that bill up I would imagine the owner is suicidal.
I know my blanking plate is a nice piece of profiled stainless steel and would not of been fit otherwise.

I too find aluminium a very very strange choice of material to use.
Not really that strange choice as in most cases the entire inlet manifold is made of aluminium, if not plastic

Anyway the EGR will be in the closed position due to the map

This is not one we have supplied or fitted, we have only sold one on eBay and none on our new parts shop

If it was one we had fitted and mapped the customer would have at lest contacted us if they had a problem and we would be fixing it properly under warranty not by a DIYer at home

Ned
AO Silver Member

Never said or implied it was one of your plates.

I still find the choice of aluminium as the material strange given the extent of the damage a failure will cause. Given that EGR valves leak and reports of them creeping open as they age I stand by my thinking that aluminium would not have been my first choice which is why mine are stainless steel.

I was just gutted for the car owner. Depending on the mileage and age of the car a issue like this could have made it almost uneconomical to repair for the owner, which would have been a real shame due to the choice of material.

The "Alfatune" full works
60mm Core Full size RS500 FMIC
AEM W/M Injection
Koni struts / Novitec springs
Grooved & Dimpled discs and pads
19" Prodrive wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Halo's HID's & LED's
Hub dyno'd at well over 500lbft at the wheels ! and that's limited.
Thats over 750 Nm for you figure fiddlers

Last edited by coxy1; 24-01-14 at 18:18.
(Post Link) post #10 of 19 Old 24-01-14 Thread Starter
Unregistered

Member car:

Straight on the defensive there, Ned, I never implied it was yours, and I am offended at your assumtion that I am a DIYer, I'd think that over 25 years in the buisness makes me more than a DIYer.

End of thread.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Straight on the defensive there, Ned, I never implied it was yours, and I am offended at your assumtion that I am a DIYer, I'd think that over 25 years in the buisness makes me more than a DIYer.

End of thread.
If you are a business you should be posting as a registered trader

And yes you did imply it was one of ours by putting a link to our shop in your first post which was removed by mods

Ned
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Can't remember which type I purchased (many do appear to be Ally!), so ordered a steel one just in case!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
Can't remember which type I purchased (many do appear to be Ally!), so ordered a steel one just in case!
yep i'm about to as well. Seems to pop up on other car forums, but never heard it mentioned on here.
AO Platinum Member

On the other hand, aren't some pistons made from alu'? v6 also has alloy heads... so the aluminium can't be toooo weedy..?

Ralf S.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
On the other hand, aren't some pistons made from alu'? v6 also has alloy heads... so the aluminium can't be toooo weedy..?

Ralf S.
And so is the intake manifold and the EGR valve its self

I am quite happy to fit our blacking plates, the only one I have seen fail is one a guy made himself out of a beer can and did not have the EGR switched off in the ECU

Ned
AO Platinum Member

I would be wary of blocking it with Aluminium on a petrol turbo, but a Diesel turbo has much cooler exhaust gases.

Aluminium melts at 660C and you are unlikely to get that sort of heat unless something else is wrong.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
660C in the exhaust manifold of a diesel is quite normal, so the ALU blocking plates are unsuitable on that end. On the other end, at the EGR valve/manifold it's suitable though.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
My cheap (9.99) ebay plates are made of 3mm (inlet) and 4 mm (exhaust) stainless. Don't think that will be a problem.

If you blanked off at the exhaust manifold then the inlet blanking plate cannot be exposed to any hot gases, the same would be true if the EGR was completely closed off by the remap, it's a big "if" which according to Multi-scan it doesn't completely close off. Gus recommended a plate at both ends because the EGR could not be guaranteed to COMPLETELY close, and that's good enough for me.

Brilliant Blue 156 GTA SportWagon

2011 Ghiaccio Bianco 159 2.0 ltr JTDm Lusso SportWagon

Last edited by TOX1C; 12-02-14 at 17:45.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
660C in the exhaust manifold of a diesel is quite normal, so the ALU blocking plates are unsuitable on that end. On the other end, at the EGR valve/manifold it's suitable though.
The turbo, on the exhaust side, may get that hot under extreme conditions on a diesel, but I seriously doubt the rest of the system gets that hot. It's also worth considering that the compressor housing of the turbo is often made of aluminium and subject to some pretty intensive radiant heat, as per this pic; (which is of a heavily tuned petrol engine);

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
blank , egr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page