GQV with too much oil - Damage? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 08-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Sport

GQV with too much oil - Damage?

I picked up a GQV a month ago that's a '61 plate and had 20,500 miles. At 19,600 miles it had an oil/filter change at the dealer I bought the car from. It's now on around 21k miles.

Upon checking the oil today (when cold and on flat ground) the dipstick showed approx an inch above the maximum mark

I'm getting the excess drained tomorrow, but I've been advised there could be 500ml too much (in a 5l system).

What are the chances that lasting damage has been done, and how can I quickly visually check to see any damage?

I've heard all sorts of horror stories of seals failing, air pockets being created etc so I'm a bit worried that a routine service by a main Alfa dealer has potentially screwed my engine!

Advice welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
no chance whatsoever. the risk with overfilling is mainly that the crank can hit the oil while starting, and believe me that you will notice this, and that the engine will consume the excess oil.

Neither has happened here. seals fail from old age or from overpressure in the crankcase which is due to a blocked crankcase breather and not from slightly overfilled oil.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I would be more concerned at the 19,600 miles it went until it had its first oil change.

I know that is the service interval, but they are designed to make the car appear cheaper to service not to make the car last longer. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time it is probably a good idea to get the oil changed at half of that interval. It can be done between the official services if you like.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 10-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Sport

Thanks for the replies.

I've had it checked over and there is no visible damage, and the level is at an acceptable level.

I agree about the service interval - I am planning on keeping the car for a good few years now, and will service every 12mths from now (actually meaning the next service is due at the start of Sept). Incidentally that is when the warranty runs out, and I plan to upgrade a few things here and there (air filter, exhaust, brakes for example).

I also have another 3 years of a 5 year service plan that came with the car so I'll be trying to make the best use of that!
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
You could always change the oil and filter yourself.

As long as the car still gets its official services you will be fine from a warranty point of view.

Or just buy the correct oil and filter and pay a local garage to do it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
damage , gqv , oil

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page