147 Cambelt - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 02-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 twinspark

147 Cambelt

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this board. Unfortunately I joined too late!
The cam belt on my 1600TS failed on Sunday last, and although I was stationary at the time I have been recommended to check the head and cam alignment. I was also advised to pursue a warranty claim as the belt should be changed at 72K miles or 5 years. Having read the board I can see that Alfa now recommend a change at 36K but I bought the car at 47K so I wasn't aware of this change.
I have spoken with Alfa UK who have asked that I get the car to a Dealer who will then assess whether I may receive a courtesy payment for some or all of the work.
The car has 52K miles with a full history from the same dealer.

Does anyone have any experience of a sucessful courtesy claim?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mikebrown

Re: 147 Cambelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenisanAlfa
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this board. Unfortunately I joined too late!
The cam belt on my 1600TS failed on Sunday last, and although I was stationary at the time I have been recommended to check the head and cam alignment. I was also advised to pursue a warranty claim as the belt should be changed at 72K miles or 5 years. Having read the board I can see that Alfa now recommend a change at 36K but I bought the car at 47K so I wasn't aware of this change.
I have spoken with Alfa UK who have asked that I get the car to a Dealer who will then assess whether I may receive a courtesy payment for some or all of the work.
The car has 52K miles with a full history from the same dealer.

Does anyone have any experience of a sucessful courtesy claim?
firstly welcome to AO dude....sorry to hear about your problems...have a search above to get some help

good luck for the future

Hi there, ive just joined too! my cambelt tensioner went last night, also while stationary!! ive just found out about the 36 k thing aswell and am livid! my cars done 52k so i thought i had lots of time left! Im definately going to pursue a claim so ill let you know what happens, my boyfriend took the engine apart today and only 4 valves are damaged so hopefully yours will be similar. good luck, im ringing alfa tomorrow for parts aswell so will keep you posted on prices

Erk! This cambelt thing is making me panic a little now. Although... at least if ARs do break down - they'll look gorgeous on the roadside whilst waiting for help to arrive!!
I've got a 147 JTD on 61k. Can anyone clear up exactly when I should have the cambelt changed? I hear of people changing cambelts etc early (not in line with service book recommendations)... if this is a good idea can anyone clear up when etc?

Thanks in anticipation.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Alfa were paying out on petrol cars with cam belt failures as long as you had FASH, the car was less than 6 years old and had less than 72K miles on it. Not sure if they are now but worth pursuing.

As for the JTD Lee, I don't know what the recommended is on yours, if in doubt, call a dealer and ask.

Welcome Jess, dealer here says you should change it every 30k - 35k, so they changed it for me b4 I bought,mine has 57k on the clock! I hope you get a free change!
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_sjm View Post
Erk! This cambelt thing is making me panic a little now. Although... at least if ARs do break down - they'll look gorgeous on the roadside whilst waiting for help to arrive!!
I've got a 147 JTD on 61k. Can anyone clear up exactly when I should have the cambelt changed? I hear of people changing cambelts etc early (not in line with service book recommendations)... if this is a good idea can anyone clear up when etc?

Thanks in anticipation.
JTD is 72k or 5 years, they're not as susceptible to failure as the petrols. Personally, like the V6, I'd probably get it done at 60k or 4 years to be safe.

well because my car is 6 years and 2 months old im not getting any compensation as in the old guidelines it should be changed every 72000 miles and every 5 years!, its now every 36000 miles and every 3 years! how annoying!

Aother question, waht exactly is the variator?? where is it in the engine? Has anyone got any pictures of it? Also i need to get hold of a camshaft locking tool, alfa said it would be 3-8 months before they had one! has anyone heard of lasertools? they have them for £30. Any advice re: changing a cambelt and the rest of my wrecked engine would be welcomed!
AO Member

I've got the 147 JTD, As stated recommended change is 72,000. I was informed by Alfa dealer that it's less of a problem with the JTD as they don't rev so high, how much truth in this I dont know. Mines done 61,000 miles and is nearly four years old. I'm booked in to have mine changed next week. "prevention's better than cure!!!!" Cant afford a rebuild.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveguzzer View Post
I've got the 147 JTD, As stated recommended change is 72,000. I was informed by Alfa dealer that it's less of a problem with the JTD as they don't rev so high, how much truth in this I dont know. Mines done 61,000 miles and is nearly four years old. I'm booked in to have mine changed next week. "prevention's better than cure!!!!" Cant afford a rebuild.
Very wise, my rebuild bill on my V6 when the belt went was 3K. Best to be safe than sorry.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
147 , cambelt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page