2.0 tspark - Top end rattle. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 03-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
2.0 tspark - Top end rattle.

Hello, Just serviced my GTV TSpark (cf2) and I noticed 2 Rattles/clatters coming from the top of my engine.

The first was the variator which went away after the oil change. The other rattle sounds very similar but is coming from the opposite end of the engine just under the cam cover.

What could this be? My balance shafts are disconnected (belt broke) so it can't be their bearings.

I also have a grey oil like liquid leaking somewhere from the left of the engine. There was a pool of it behind the Aux belt tensioner and my old Alternator was covered in it.

I have a spare engine, Should i start rebuilding it in anticipation of something major going wrong?

Cheers!

Alfa GT 3.2 V6 - Quaife diff, Wizard SS manifolds, Scorpion SS downpipes, Scorption GTA catback, Bilstein b4 Dampers, braided brake lines, MTEC drilled disks, Red Stuff pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Check the spark plugs are tight.

I had one eject itself from the head on one of my TS cars, and the sound before it came out was a ticking noise similar to a failed variator.

Whoever had changed the plugs the previous time had damaged the thread...
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 04-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks Symon. The service included plugs and oil. The noise was apparent both before and after.

Before the service i had 2 very similar sounding rattles, one at the left and one at the right of the cam cover. After the service the left one was much quieter and the right one had not changed.

I don't think it is the big end bearings as there is no noticable knock at any time. And the sound appears to be loudest from the far right of the engine (almost above the gearbox). If it was the big end i would expect the sound from above cyl. 3.

Cheers,
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Hydraulic tappet?
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
fresh oil seems to have helped..
what oil did you use??..
the weathers getting colder .. oils getting a tad thicker.. maybe not pumping up the hydraulic tappets..
I guess you could try some hydraulic tappet cleaner .. never tried it myself
(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 05-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadart View Post
fresh oil seems to have helped..
what oil did you use??..
the weathers getting colder .. oils getting a tad thicker.. maybe not pumping up the hydraulic tappets..
I guess you could try some hydraulic tappet cleaner .. never tried it myself
Hi seadart. The oil helped the variator, not the other rattle. THe variator was definately makeing the first noise. I used to have a punto HGT so i know what a failed variator sounds like. The other noise is slightly quieter.

Oil was comma 10/40w semi. I use this grade in all tsparks.

I will check out the tappets. Thanks,
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 03-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

This weekend i finally had the chance to take the cam cover off. Apart from discovering my coils are in a horrific condition (one corroded and broken away, the remaining 3 cracked. Thank god for the redundancy in the twinspark system). I discovered my Cams and tappets are in perfect condion. All of the tappets were firmly against the lobes and the lobes had only the lightest of shiny tips.

So not sure what could be causing the rattle. It is not the big ends as the rattle is twice engine speed so has to be valve train. It only does this when hot. It could well be me overthinking it. I will do an engine flush and put in some new oil with a drop of tappet treatment.
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Camshaft lobes sound like they are worn. They should be a sort of egg shape but they have probably worn into an oval shape. Also check the variator oil feed solenoid. They can stick
AO Member

County: KwaZulu-Natal
Had the same symptoms with my P1 TS Spider. Top end rattle turned out to be six worn lobes on the exhaust cam. No wonder she had no bottom end grunt! What a transformation with a new cam and 16 followers.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
I've got a spare head, used tappets and decent 1.8/2.0 cams for sale if it does turn out to be this, known, problem.

However, have you tried taking the aux belt off to see if the noise is still there?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
end , rattle , top , tspark

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page