Alfa gt 2.0litre jts stiff gears - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alfa gt jack

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 03-10-13 Thread Starter

County: Devon

Member car:

Alfa gt

Alfa gt 2.0litre jts stiff gears

Hi everyone I'm new on here but really need help, I bought my alfa gt 2.0litre jts about 4 months ago and I love it but soon after buying I noticed I had to wrestle the gears into the slots, I searched the web for answers, "stiff bushes"..ok so I replaced bushes an great smooth gears for a couple days then stiff again, "wd40 the linkages and generally everything moving"... ok tried and worked for short time then stiff again, re read forums..."remove plate near left front wheel remove swarf re silicone and drain gearbox oil and replace".. An improvement but still stiff...?? Now hears the thing that's confusing me, when the car is off all gears easy and also when the engine runs and engine temperature is below 90 every gear is beautifully smooth and no stiffness whatsoever, but as soon as the engine is up to temperature at about 90 the gears go stiff and I mean stiff sometimes they won't go in especially 1st 2nd and 5th but generally them all, when the car cools down it goes bak to smooth again, I have also noticed when the engine is up to temperature the car sounds a bit noisier very slightly allmost like a diesel would make, and lastly third sometime slips an grinds only occasionally tho, please help I'm tearing my hair out becoz I can't find the answer, the strangest thing I find is that one minute it's lovely the next it's a tuff *****, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Sounds more like a clutch problem ... try bleeding the clutch to get rid of any possible air bubbles or moisture.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 04-10-13 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa gt

Ok mate ill give it a go thanks.
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 05-10-13 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa gt

I'm probably bein stupid here but where is the slave cylinder on the alfa gt jts 2.0litre?? I can't find it anywhere? I've also noticed a lot of pedal play before the clutch engages
bjarneflyvholm likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Yes.. the clutch is being a bit moody by the sounds of it. I'd swap it.

The slave cylinder sits on top of the gearbox so you can't see it unless you crawl under the car and look up.

They're not tooooo expensive so if the gearbox is off, I'd put a new one of those on there too, as a matter of course.

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 07-10-13 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa gt

Hi guys spent a few hours on Saturday found the bleed nipple etc started bleeding the system an a huge air bubble was released in the glass of water and it immediately turned from clear into black an grey dirty colour, put it bak together took the car for a couple long drives and got it up to temperature and it is soooo much better sometimes it is a little bit stubborn but still goes into gear easy snuff and isn't a problem now, thanks gazza for your help, and ralf i will keep that in mind and book the car in as soon as I have some more money do you have any idea how much a clutch and slave replacement would be at a garage just as a rough guesstimate? So glad I joined here now everyone has bin so helpfull thanks

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
20litre , alfa , gears , jts , stiff

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page