2.2jts blown after timing chain change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 03-09-13 Thread Starter

County: -

Member car:

Brera 2.2JTS

2.2jts blown after timing chain change

Not the happiest occasion for a first post, but the story goes like this:

Bought a Brera 2.2jts last year with 46000 km on the odometer and symptoms of timing chain stretch. Started losing significant power earlier this year and had a workshop replace it using the Alfa Workshop kit. The car was absolutely fabulous when I got it back - throttle response and power was amazing compared to what it had been. That lasted for 13 days and maybe 200 km.

While driving, a noise which resembled the familiar valve ticking on my old Fiero suddenly appeared. I limped back home as carefully as possible, the engine ticking interemittently, but still running ok, no engine light and no apparent power loss. Left the car parked for two months as I was away during summer and didn't have time to look into the problem, before I finally took it for a test drive. No ticking when I left the garage. After approximately 200 meters of driving it reappeared and turned into a noisy rattle in a matter of seconds. Pushed the clutch and the engine died immediately. Starter engine didn't even want to engage and had the car towed back to the workshop.

Told the workshop what happened, that I suspected the engine was blown and that it was related to the timing chain. After two weeks they tell me I'm right, one cylinder is torn to bits and the engine need to be replaced. They can't tell me how it has happened, but insist it has nothing to do with the timing chain replacement, which I have trouble accepting.

Hence, my question is: Is there any way to explain this scenario which doesn't include a) Misaligned timing chain or b) Poorly adjusted timing chain tensioner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

It depends what's wrecked. If the piston skirt fell off then you could say the timing belt didn't play a part in that.

As a rule of thumb, if the engine can turn over (manually) without anything coming into contact with anything else, you could argue the timing belt wasn't to blame. If anything touches, then probably it was.

Ralf S.
AO Gold Member

County: Western Cape
Ask them to show you all the valves from the engine. I suspect there was contact between the valves and pistons and a valve head broke off and ripped the piston to shreds. The cylinder head would be pretty messed up too.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 02-10-13 Thread Starter

County: -

Member car:

Brera 2.2JTS

Have been away travelling hence no updates.

Got my hands on a 50000 borescope and had a look inside the engine. Piston #1 is gone. Absolutely no sign of it. Serious damage to the cylinder wall near the top. Connecting rod looks fine. Valves look sort of ok - at least no smoking gun showed up.

Engine can't turn over at all now, probably because debris is blocking the crank. Still don't know what caused the damage but unfortunately the block seems to be beyond repair.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
22jts , blown , chain , change , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page