Crank pulley nut wins round 1... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 21-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Powys
Crank pulley nut wins round 1...

I'm crossing everything that my new toy does the business when it arrives
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CXTUEA2

Never expected it to be anything less than a tough job, but how on earth did swinging from the end of this not shift it

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...aed85b47a17b75

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...e3c9fbf45f12a9

First it just lifted the car off the jack, so I got someone to stand on the brakes with it in 6th gear, still lifted the car slightly then the 3/4" T bar started to flex.

I've taken nuts off crank shafts in the past but this one's something else...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mercedes C350e

To avoid the grief, drill the blighter off. Need a new nut of course. Tried to undo the nut on the 166 when I did the belts but no way, took but a moment to drill a 3mm hole in the side of the nut, split it and spin it off. No harm to crank thread or anything else.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

How big and powerful is your compressor?
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
I've used a 3/4 gun on my little 25l compressor. Luckily it only needs a few seconds to do the job so running out of air has not been a problem. I think the same would happen with that 1 inch gun as well, the nut should come undone on the first few knocks.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
first knock on the 2500Nm 1" gun I used...
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trofeo View Post
I'm crossing everything that my new toy does the business when it arrives
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CXTUEA2

Never expected it to be anything less than a tough job, but how on earth did swinging from the end of this not shift it

First it just lifted the car off the jack, so I got someone to stand on the brakes with it in 6th gear, still lifted the car slightly then the 3/4" T bar started to flex.

I've taken nuts off crank shafts in the past but this one's something else...
You turning the right way?? Aren't some crank nuts reverse threaded to stop them undoing themselves?
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 01-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Powys
Thanks for the replies guys, very encouraging to read others have had success with big impact guns I have it now, it's a fair thing! I want to get a larger diameter airline for it as I only have 1/4" & the fitting supplied with it appears to be for 5/8" ID hose It's a large 150 PSI compressor, not sure what capacity exactly but it's man enough just about to paint a car. ChrisS that's next if this doesn't work, I was worried about damaging the thread on the crankshaft, good to know you did it without a problem. Could someone confirm what type of thread it is, you've got me worried I've been a muppet now gazza Won't have a chance to have another go for a while because of work but will post back how it goes Cheers

Last edited by Trofeo; 01-09-13 at 11:28.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mercedes C350e

It's a 'normal' thread on the V6, anti-clock to undo. They just seem to go fiercely tight on these later engines for some reason. Never had problems with the older 12V motors myself, but the 166.....

I applaud buying the right tool for the job, but a honking great rattle gun I'd only use once or twice is maybe a bit too much for me compared to a 6 nut and a 20p drill bit. If I was more into repairs now (as I used to be a few years back) then I'd get one. As it is, my 1/2" Snap-On rattle gun does most of what I need it to.

You may find your compressor short of puff with a big gun though - it's not about the pressure so much as the delivery rate. All you can do is try it and see how it goes.

If you do end up having to resort to the drill, just make sure you drill into the flat section of the nut away from the crank and you'll do no harm. Worst case if you are a tad enthusiastic is you might put a dimple in the washer - no problem if you do. IIRC, I started out with a 3mm, then a 5mm, then split it with a chisel. Painless.

Best of luck with the job though - hope the gun does the trick for you.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
crank , nut , pulley , round , wins

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page