147 JTDm - alternative turbo query - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 28-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Highlands

Member car:

Alfa-less

Hmmm 147 JTDm - alternative turbo query

If (and I do mean if) I keep my 147 Ti 150 I'm toying with the idea of some more grunt.
So what are the alternative turbo options
If I'm right the car currently has a G1749v on it, one idea has been a hybrid like the VW/Audi chaps seem so fond of. But, the way I look at it, there must be something that would be effectively 'plug-n-play' on the standard manifold etc?
And.... what is the difference between a 1749 fitted to a 140 and the 150?

Suggestions of turbo choice welcome

Ocht
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
after tuning, the difference between a 140 and 150 bhp is only 5 bhp, so there aren't any gains to be had there....

get a turbo from a 2.4 20v 210 bhp. that's the Garrett version, not the KKK found on the 200 bhp. More power than the gearbox can handle could be gotten from that (easily), so you should only do it if you fit a Quaife or Q2 differential at the same time, as this is the weak point in the gearbox.

you'll have a seriously quick 147 if you get those 2 things done (with a remap of course)
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 28-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa-less

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
after tuning, the difference between a 140 and 150 bhp is only 5 bhp, so there aren't any gains to be had there....
Thanks for posting back but my question was more about them being the same turbo? How much difference is there between (what seems to me) the same turbo fitted to the 140 as the 150 (or 115......)

Quote:
get a turbo from a 2.4 20v 210 bhp. that's the Garrett version, not the KKK found on the 200 bhp. More power than the gearbox can handle could be gotten from that (easily), so you should only do it if you fit a Quaife or Q2 differential at the same time, as this is the weak point in the gearbox.
Interesting, that turbo is a simple 'plug-n-play'? No modifications to the inlet manifold or anything else

Quote:
you'll have a seriously quick 147 if you get those 2 things done (with a remap of course)
It is tempting..... but then so is chopping it in for something else. Have to consider all my options though
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

ALFA 147 JTDm 8v

To get the 2256 turbo from the 2.4 to fit you will need manifold, oil return pipe ,plus downpipe mods as its not a plug and play turbo for the 147, but it can be done as a plug and play kit from a member on here, forget changing the turbo from any other 147 jtdm's as theres very little to gain,

Either get the 2256 kit done or get a 1756 hybrid like i have,

Or if you want lots of power and good spooling get a GTB 2056 there's alot of choices depending on what you want to spend.

147 JTDm 8v - RedDot remap - Stage 2 GT1756 Hybrid turbo - FMIC - JS & RAGAZZON Decat - - Eibachs - 4300k Hid's - 18" Multi's - Brembo 4 pot's .
189Bhp / 407Nm

Last edited by cree; 28-07-13 at 18:34.
AO Gold Member

To clarify, the GTB2056v cree mentions is the one from the 2.4 20v 210 bhp...
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INS147 View Post
Thanks for posting back but my question was more about them being the same turbo? How much difference is there between (what seems to me) the same turbo fitted to the 140 as the 150 (or 115......)
I'm unsure about the difference myself but I know there's not much in it, if any... the 115 is likely fitted with a largely different turbo
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
the latest turbo fitted to the jtdm 150hp had some internal differences, it has a slightly larger vnt height (5.5mm to 6.2mm I think something like)and also the compressor wheel is different (actually smaller , the inducer is only 34.4mm compared to old 36.3mm)
the design is probably newer and better though and its a deep superback so should have a higher burst speed, although when over fuelled could easily overboost and overspeed in std form.
if I was you I would wait and see how cree does with his hybrid 16v turbo now a 1756

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...o-upgrade.html

I don't know what specs it is but will keep an eye on, I did a hybrid based on the later jtdm turbo with a 52mm compressor wheel so a 1752 but I also fitted a larger turbine wheel so hard to compare to other hybrids.
the hybrid is the easiest plug n play but it depends on your own power desire and requirements its no good settling for a hybrid if your goals are going to end up 220hp+
if so id say look at larger gtb turbos and suffer the extra work to make fit.
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 29-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa-less

Thumbs Up

Interesting stuff Will read that other thread with interest cheers.
My initial query was as much about what else turbo wise I could bolt to the standard manifold rather than what turbo to go for in terms of outright power. So, if I go down this route of another turbo, I can't see me needing anything more than 200bhp. I'm not interested in outright power but I am very interested in outright drive-ability, it would need to perform well across the mid-range.
I suspect the standard inter-cooler is already marginal in performance and I accept that would need changing but I'd prefer not to change the injectors. In other words, I want my cake and to eat it with cherries on top plus some double cream for good measure and I want to do it as cheaply as possible
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
200 hp should be fine on std 777250-1 turbo later jtdm, also std injectors are ok upto 220-230hp without sacrificing timing too much
std intercooler is probably ok at 200hp unless you do long wot runs, short blasts will suffer less heat soak, and even 50 deg intake air still supply enough for 200hp
if you want it on the cheap your just looking at a good remap really no hardware mods.
any turbo mods will move drivabity up or down from std
(Post Link) post #10 of 10 Old 30-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa-less

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sussexa View Post
200 hp should be fine on std 777250-1 turbo later jtdm, also std injectors are ok upto 220-230hp without sacrificing timing too much
std intercooler is probably ok at 200hp unless you do long wot runs, short blasts will suffer less heat soak, and even 50 deg intake air still supply enough for 200hp
Thanks, that's interesting. I'd assumed the intercooler was marginal at best with anything over 180 from a conversation with someone at Red Dot who may or may not have made a range of induction kits that may or may not have had GSR on them somewhere.... working on the assumption that the inter-cooler in my old Stilo JTD is/was the same as the one in the 147 I'd bargained on replacing it if I go down the 'power' route.
Quote:
if you want it on the cheap your just looking at a good remap really no hardware mods.
Truth is I suspect my turbo will need to be replaced (let's face it, I've replaced almost every other bleedin thing on it so it's reasonable to assume the turbo will be next) so my interest is two fold.... it possibly needs replaced (1) and if replacing it, doesn't it make sense to fit something which could yield better results whilst I'm at it? (2). Hence my queries
A remap would naturally be on the cards (if I keep it) and I suspect I'll travel a long way to get it done. Not as far as Red Dot I'm afraid as I was less than happy with the issues with the Stilo post remap, not that I have a long memory for such things
Quote:
any turbo mods will move drivabity up or down from std
Indeed, so it is very useful to tap into the experience of others

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
147 , alternative , jtdm , query , turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page