Turbo shaft - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 22-07-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1398
Turbo shaft

Im wanting to try and get to the bottom of the small puffs of blue smoke my 159 2.0jtdm on start up and on accel / turbo spool.
Ive felt the turbo shaft on the inlet side and can feel a small amount of play on it. Is this normal or could i be onto somethinh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
what direction is the play? there should be about 1mm radial play, but no play axially
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 23-07-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

thanks for the feedback Cuore. The shaft has small amount of radial play which sounds normal and i couldnt feel it fouling / resisting when turned. Im wondering if the turbo is OK and my blue smoke could be something else and the £350 i've been quoted to "fix" the turbo could be a waste of money? Going to fit a oil catch can on the breather pipe to ensure there are no oily fumes getting into the turbo.
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
1mm is approx difference from blades and housing so id say youd only get .5mm either way and youll be hitting housing anyway.
With oil out of bearing i had .3mm total play and .12mm axial play when stripped, due to blue smoke getting worse, turned out as worn turbine oil seal.
Started blue smoke on start up but eventually started smoking at junctions etc when idling.
Mine had only done 35000 miles but most at high boost.
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 24-07-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sussexa View Post
1mm is approx difference from blades and housing so id say youd only get .5mm either way and youll be hitting housing anyway.
With oil out of bearing i had .3mm total play and .12mm axial play when stripped, due to blue smoke getting worse, turned out as worn turbine oil seal.
Started blue smoke on start up but eventually started smoking at junctions etc when idling.
Mine had only done 35000 miles but most at high boost.
did you opt for a rebuild or replacement? The turbo on my 2.0 jtdm doesnt seem to be readily available so an exchange doesnt seem to be on the cards its either a rebuild of my own unit or new (how much??? ) are my options at the mo
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
I did a diy hybrid to larger turbine and compressor then got a turbo rebuilder to fit new bearings And a staggered gap oil piston seal thats supposed to take more boost and or suitable for low back pressure systems as i am no cats or boxes.
A turbo rebuilder will probably be able to rebuild and balance and return in a few days? I paid £200 for rebuild and balance(new turbine and compressor i supplied in turbo already)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
shaft , turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page