Strange noise on overrun - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 08-05-13 Thread Starter
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Strange noise on overrun

CF1 2.0 TS 16v in a 145 Cloverleaf

Engine is well maintained, regular oil checks/top ups, new plugs every year. Equipped with half decent panel filter, Alfatune exhaust system and Alfatune remap running 170bhp

When the engine has been warmed up, it pulls very strongly but when slowing down or when the revs are falling from mid range to tickover, it makes a strange rattly/ticky/grinding noise around the 2500-2000rpm mark. Doesn't do it under power or holding the revs steady, only when the revs are falling. It is due a full belt change soon but this noise sounds like its coming from the passenger side, or certainly to the left of the drivers side, could be a central noise.

It is definitely engine related, nothing to do with gearbox (that i know of) as it does it when either driving along, in any gear, or when stood still.

Any thoughts guys? If it needs a new clutch and/or flywheel, sod it. Its getting ripped out and replaced with a 20v turbo from a Fiat Coupe!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post

Engine is well maintained, regular oil checks/top ups, new plugs every year. Equipped with half decent panel filter, Alfatune exhaust system and Alfatune remap running 170bhp

When the engine has been warmed up, it pulls very strongly but when slowing down or when the revs are falling from mid range to tickover, it makes a strange rattly/ticky/grinding noise around the 2500-2000rpm mark. Doesn't do it under power or holding the revs steady, only when the revs are falling. It is due a full belt change soon but this noise sounds like its coming from the passenger side, or certainly to the left of the drivers side, could be a central noise.

It is definitely engine related, nothing to do with gearbox (that i know of) as it does it when either driving along, in any gear, or when stood still.

Any thoughts guys? If it needs a new clutch and/or flywheel, sod it. Its getting ripped out and replaced with a 20v turbo from a Fiat Coupe!

Can you get a recording of it ?? might help a bit
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 14-05-13 Thread Starter
Gaz
Regional Support North

I forgot i posted this, such was the flurry of responses!

I can try, might not be all that audible over the exhaust though but no harm in trying
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post

Sounds like a noisy variator to me. is it fine when cold but increases when hot, the spring in the variator can tend to get a bit sticky when the oil is hot and not as thick. when you get the cambelt done get new variator, and dont forget to get the water pump changed while its stripped down could pay dividens in the end.
AO Member

County: Gauteng
Could it be a heat shied making the noise ?
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 15-05-13 Thread Starter
Gaz
Regional Support North

Definitely not variator, had much experience with them over the years! Engine sounds as sweet as anything on tickover, no ticking injectors, no rattly followers and no diesel rattle from the variator. The only other noise is a lazy alternator pulley/bearing. Its very squeaky in cold and damp conditions but as all the belts run straight and the battery hasn't suffered, i haven't bothered about that for a while

Have been informed it could be something to do with balance shaft bearings and to run without the shaft for a bit. The noise definitely seems over on the passenger side of the car which is why i initially thought clutch/flywheel issue. Anyway i'll get it warmed up on the way home tonight and try and get a video or at least some audio
AO Member

County: Edinburgh
I had this noise on a 1.6 TS in my 147. It was a tensioner I believe relating to the variator. No noise under load but lifting off I would get a rattly sound as you describe. The car had just had a new timing belt and variator under warranty and the dealer changed the variator and timing belt again as it was pointless not doing it when in that area of the engine.

Apparently the tensioner was sticky compared with the others in the kit. It solved my noise.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
noise , overrun , strange

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page