Boost surge and dropping after EGR Blank 2.4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 22-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Boost surge and dropping after EGR Blank 2.4

Car - Alfa 159 2.4 Ti with 82k on the clock.

Hi all, long story is - car started to hesitate (thought egr valve sticking etc) then the car performance started fading and then just came to a stop. After hitting the egr with a hammer it would start again but had the symptoms of a blocked DPF.

So I fitted an EGR blanking plate ( I assumed it was slightly open or sticking thus causing the DPF to clog) and cleared the DPF.

Then a problem developed - If I accelerate in second at about 50% the car will surge then the boost will drop off and the car will continue to accelerate again. This happens through all gears but most notably in second. No difference if the MAF is plugged or unplugged. If I accelerate 100% all is seemingly fine.

I have since drilled a great big hole through my DPF as I suspect it was on its last legs anyway.

Now my question is do I have a problem with a boost leak/vacuum sensor or similar or is this normal behaviour because the car is expecting there to be re-circulating exhaust gas and there isnt because I blocked it? Ive already cleared one suspected boost leak but Im concerned that when the car stopped the back pressure has broken other seals or parts....

I'm having the car remapped to delete the egr and dpf but I'd like to get any issues (if I have them) ironed out first if you get my drift!

Sorry for the essay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 4 Old 23-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Update - Ive put some injector cleaner through and as its slightly quieter I can hear a very slight hissing sound at certain loads. I assume I have a boost leak. Will check and report back.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 27-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

I have a boost leak through a swirl flap. New manifold time
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
Garage
Digging up an old thread here...
I have the same symptoms as your top post. Only started surging on the boost gauge today, but today was the first time I drove since fitting a blanking plate on the EGR on Saturday.
She's already remapped with DPF EGR malarkey...

Anyway, I'd like to know how you came to conclusion that you had a leaking swirl flap so I can check for myself...

Seems to be one thing after another at the mo, I have found a broken spring, need new bushes up front (for Ned to do) and now I have a knocking sound from the front right of my hood where it meets the window frame...
Damn good job she looks the ways she does...

Alfas don't break down..... They stop to be admired

Alfas don't leak oil.... They are marking their territory

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
blank , boost , dropping , egr , surge

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page