Oil for the 1750TBi - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 106 Old 04-04-13 Thread Starter

County: West Lothian
Garage
Looky Looky Oil for the 1750TBi

I won't identify my source of this information other than to say that they are reputable and reliable, and it involves an email from Alfa's Tech department to the dealer network............... but you'll probably have a good idea when I say that I was purchasing a couple of bottles of Selenia engine oil at the time.

2 bottles of the golden liquid were placed on the counter and I happened to mention that it was 1 each (as a top-up spare) for our Giulietta MultiAir and 159 1750TBi. A frown immediately appeared the face of the person serving me and they proceeded to search through an email list on their VDU, followed by a telephone call to another location.

They then announced that they were checking that it was OK to give me this oil for the 159 as there had been a recent email telling them that, with immediate effect, they had to stop using Selenia STAR in the 1750 engine but it's still OK for the 1.4MA, . There is a replacement spec' oil which must now be used but they didn't yet have it in stock so he couldn't enlighten me as to what the difference is, . They have however promised to let me know as soon as they've had a chance to do some further 'digging', . Meantime, on the basis that that's what is already in the 1750's sump following its last service, I was 'permitted' to purchase both bottles of STAR.

They obviously had to be careful in what they were divulging to me and I didn't want to get them into any sort of grief but I did quiz a little, .

Q. So is this current oil causing any problems with the 1750?
A. Possibly
Q. So are we talking about things like turbo failures? (having just suffered one myself 10 days after the warranty expired, )
A. Maybe

Watch this space for any further developments.

For Info & enquiries e-mail
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
That's scary. Wait till these engines get into the "lots of car for your money" market and even the Star oil is too much for the budget or the correct oil is charged for but not used.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoRaiderZ View Post
They then announced that they were checking that it was OK to give me this oil for the 159 as there had been a recent email telling them that, with immediate effect, they had to stop using Selenia STAR in the 1750 engine but it's still OK for the 1.4MA, .
The 1.4MA oil IS NOT "Selenia StAR", it is "Selenia StAR PE"
(Post Link) post #4 of 106 Old 04-04-13 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
The 1.4MA oil IS NOT "Selenia StAR", it is "Selenia StAR PE"
The 'Pure Energy' variant was what I got - I forgot that the 'standard' version of STAR might still be obtained by some, as my source no longer offers it unless you specifically request it. Thanks for clarifying, .
AO Platinum Member

The normal "StAR" is the oil for all the other Petrol 159........ so I wonder what they are using in those if they don't stock it...???
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 MA

I used Castrol Magnatec 5w-40 (ACEA C3) when I changed mine recently.

Would be interesting to see what they revised....
AO Platinum Member

The FL Selenia website now has "SELENIA SPORT POWER 5W40" for the 1750TBi, but no actual info on it...
(Post Link) post #8 of 106 Old 05-04-13 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
The normal "StAR" is the oil for all the other Petrol 159........ so I wonder what they are using in those if they don't stock it...???
From what I can gather, they're using PE for everything to simplify stock control, .
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
From what I can gather, they're using PE for everything to simplify stock control, .
Instant breach of warranty requirements then...
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Instant breach of warranty requirements then...
Does that surprise you? We had a 2.0 JTS come into us making some funny engine noises (turned out to have a worn cam) a month or so ago, turned out the last garage to have serviced it which was a Fiat main agent had used 5w30! I don't even know what they were doing with 5w30 as I can't think of any FPT engines that use it.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Does that surprise you? We had a 2.0 JTS come into us making some funny engine noises (turned out to have a worn cam) a month or so ago, turned out the last garage to have serviced it which was a Fiat main agent had used 5w30! I don't even know what they were doing with 5w30 as I can't think of any FPT engines that use it.
Sadly doesn't surprise me.
There was a GTA on here several years ago that a dealer in SPAIN put 5W30 in...!!
As for 5W30 in FPT engines now, the current/recent Diesels use it (except for the 2.4), don't think any Petrols do though.

Last edited by David C; 05-04-13 at 18:43.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
JTD uses it in the giulietta

EDIT: David C already answered that I see.

Although 5w-30 is recommended (more for MPG reasons than anything else I believe) I'll stick to 5w-40 myself
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
Although 5w-30 is recommended (more for MPG reasons than anything else I believe) I'll stick to 5w-40 myself
The thin oils help with emissions too, especially cold start emissions and any oil in the combustion chamber burns off much quicker.
None of those are real plus-points to the end user/owner though!
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Noted - I normally get an intermediate oil change done on the G QV (between service intervals), so I may just hurry one up.
AO Member

Member car:

159 TBi TI SW

Quote:
The FL Selenia website now has "SELENIA SPORT POWER 5W40" for the 1750TBi, but no actual info on it...
"...it prevents deposits on the turbine to achieve the utmost performance in total safety."

I want so much to believe that Selenia is good enough for my engine but the voices are telling me to change it for... they didn't say it yet

PETRONAS Lubricants International - Products - Selenia
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohican TI View Post
"...it prevents deposits on the turbine to achieve the utmost performance in total safety."

I want so much to believe that Selenia is good enough for my engine but the voices are telling me to change it for... they didn't say it yet

PETRONAS Lubricants International - Products - Selenia
That is "Selenia Sport 5W40" though, which has been around for some time, not "Selenia Sport Power 5W40".
AO Member

Member car:

159 TBi TI SW

True that David C... my bad
Just checked my last invoice and the dealer (Palmers Hemel Hemstead) put Selenia K Pure 5W40 oil *it doesn't say STAR* so i don't know if Selenia changed oil name or just the dealer didn't put a whole name on the invoice (September last year) so I am confused a bit with the names now.

My previous two Alfas never used Selenia oils. I used Castrol Magnatec for 156 T.Spark and Valvoline for 166 3.0 and never had any oil related problems with these engines.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohican TI View Post
True that David C... my bad
Just checked my last invoice and the dealer (Palmers Hemel Hemstead) put Selenia K Pure 5W40 oil *it doesn't say STAR* so i don't know if Selenia changed oil name or just the dealer didn't put a whole name on the invoice (September last year) so I am confused a bit with the names now.
Selenia have two oils with the same ACEA C3 spec, one Alfa branded (Selenia StAR PE) and the other without the Alfa branding (Selenia K Pure Energy).

Selenia "K" is the unbranded version of "StAR" as well.
AO Member

AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 MA

well, it lists Tbi as 4.25 ltr oil capacity... but the same engine in Giulietta is 5.1ltr :00
(Post Link) post #21 of 106 Old 10-04-13 Thread Starter

Garage
I've now had my hands on the official document. I've promised my source that I will respect the confidentiality of it (and thus keep their name off a P45) and so I'll not reproduce it here.

I can reveal that it is a 'Service Information' bulletin from Petronas entitled 'New Engine Oil' and covers the 159, Giulietta, Brera, Spider and Lancia Delta. It states"To update the Service Publications #Owner Handbook and Service Manual#, we inform you that the engine oil for 1.8 Turbo petrol #1750 TBi# is SELENIA SPORT POWER replacing the previous SELENIA StAR P.E.".

It goes on to describe it as a "fully synthetic lubricant to international specification SAE 5W-40 ACEA C3 and FIAT specification 9.55535-GH2 C.T.R. FO52.H12" but gives no technical specifications for this oil or any reason for the change other than to make the time-honoured statement "The use of products with different specifications than those indicated above could cause damage to the engine not covered by the warranty", , - great for me now that my car is out of warranty and thinking that the recent turbo blow-up could be down to 'products with different specifications' having been used since it left the production line, :#.

The relevant page in the Giulietta Cloverleaf handbook has already been updated in the one I saw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1750TBi Oil.jpg (138.3 KB, 428 views)
AO Gold Member

This 'new' oil does not appear to be listed on the Internet.
(Post Link) post #23 of 106 Old 11-04-13 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stori View Post
This 'new' oil does not appear to be listed on the Internet.
It's so new, its existence is still cloaked in secrecy.

I don't suppose they want to shout it from the rooftops for fear of a deluge of claims for any damage (like my blown turbo, ) potentially caused by the previous oil spec.

Last edited by RomeoRaiderZ; 11-04-13 at 15:51.
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 MA

Yeah, but if the old oil spec are really causing damage to turbo it should be a recall tbh, or at least mail/e-mail to owners to alert them... Not nice Alfa.
AO Silver Member

County: Antrim
Quote:
I've now had my hands on the official document. I've promised my source that I will respect the confidentiality of it (and thus keep their name off a P45) and so I'll not reproduce it here.

I can reveal that it is a 'Service Information' bulletin from Petronas entitled 'New Engine Oil' and covers the 159, Giulietta, Brera, Spider and Lancia Delta. It states"To update the Service Publications #Owner Handbook and Service Manual#, we inform you that the engine oil for 1.8 Turbo petrol #1750 TBi# is SELENIA SPORT POWER replacing the previous SELENIA StAR P.E.".

It goes on to describe it as a "fully synthetic lubricant to international specification SAE 5W-40 ACEA C3 and FIAT specification 9.55535-GH2 C.T.R. FO52.H12" but gives no technical specifications for this oil or any reason for the change other than to make the time-honoured statement "The use of products with different specifications than those indicated above could cause damage to the engine not covered by the warranty", , - great for me now that my car is out of warranty and thinking that the recent turbo blow-up could be down to 'products with different specifications' having been used since it left the production line, :#.

The relevant page in the Giulietta Cloverleaf handbook has already been updated in the one I saw.
Have you got the bulletin number by any chance?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
1750tbi , oil

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page