Gtv twinspark ecu temp sensor on thermostat - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

reveds1969

Gtv twinspark ecu temp sensor on thermostat

Hi to all
Could someone nudge me in the rite direction please.
Would i be correct in saying that if the temp sensor on the thermostat is triggering the second speed setting that the signal should be getting to the ecu for the first speed setting?
I have removed the 1st speed relay for the radiator fans and bent pin 85 on it outwards and fitted a switch to earth from this pin and with the ignition on i can switch the fans on and off no problem.
So im guessing that i have no first speed fans because of wire from ecu to relay or the ecu itself it shot
Any ideas please guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
You have swapped the relay? to ensure the signal from the ECU works unplug the Temp sensors with the ignition on they should start running when they are disconnected...
reveds1969

Hi Biffa
I have put a wire from pin 85 on the relay to earth and the fans work as should at slow speed but via shorting it to earth.
So with an ecu change today im guessing a broken wire somewhere either ecu to relay or sensor to ecu but the sensor does trigger the 120 degree second speed fans?
Is it possible for the sensor to only send the second speed relay signal but not the first sppeed signal?
Cheers

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by reveds1969 View Post
Hi Biffa
I have put a wire from pin 85 on the relay to earth and the fans work as should at slow speed but via shorting it to earth.
So with an ecu change today im guessing a broken wire somewhere either ecu to relay or sensor to ecu but the sensor does trigger the 120 degree second speed fans?
Is it possible for the sensor to only send the second speed relay signal but not the first sppeed signal?
Cheers
The fan kicks in when the engine is over 98deg C? but only at high speed?
reveds1969

Hi Biffa
The car if left alone idling will get to 110 ish and the fast speed fans will kick in.
Its the fans at 90 on slow that doesnt work.
I can simulate the earth signal sent from the ecu by shorting pin 85 on the slow fan relay and the fans work at the correct speed.
I have done an ecu swap recently and no change to the fans operation.
Im guessing the sensor on the stat works as the fans work at fast speed so that just leaves the wire to the first speed relay thats at fault.
Someone mentioned that the rad resistors are at fault but surely the fans would not work if i tripped them with my earth trip on pin 85 on the slow speed relay.
Regards

County: Bayern

Member car:

145, 156

Same issue

Dear Alfistis!

I have the same issue. I can trigger first and second speed with fiat ecu scan but the ecu only starts the second speed when the temp reaches 110 C. All relays are fine. The resistor is shorted. Could that be a broken ECU?

I know this thread is old.. but it sound just like the same sympthoms to me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
VK

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
ecu , gtv , sensor , temp , thermostat , twinspark

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page