1750 TBi cambelt replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 17-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Pest
1750 TBi cambelt replacement

Hi all,
I just bought a 2009 Alfa 159, with the 1750 TBi engine, and 75000kms on the clock. Over here it's common practice to "adjust" the odometer, so I decided, I'll replace the cambelt.
I searched the net and forums for a number of days now, but I cannot find any information on this engine. Does someone have an elearn on other manual that includes this engine, or at least the cambelt change procedure, and special locking tools needed? I prefer to do these kind of jobs myself, so I already have all the necessary parts (belt, guide roller, tensioner pulley, water pump), and would like to buy the necessary locking tools as well.

Also, I got very confusing information about the normal cambelt change interval as well, ranging from 90000km/3yrs all the way to 150000km/5years (this info is by one of the local main dealers)

regards, Laszlo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Western Cape
cambelt replacement every 3 years or 120000km
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 MA

oh bugger that...

Laszlo, have not found eLEARN covering tbi engine. Apparently new versions are based on-line. if you google around, it seems that you can buy hourly and daily access for reasonable money.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 18-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks all, I bought a short access to eLearn, and copied the relevant stuff to pdf.... The cambelt change procedure requires two camshaft locking tools, that fit in place of a cover and the vacuum pump. The crankshaft also needs a locking tool. Basically, with everything locked at TDC, you loosen the camshaft sprockets, overtighten the new belt somewhat, tighten the sprockets, remove the locking tools, set the correct belt tension.
The factory locking tools were pretty inexpensive, around 20EUR each: 2000003000 for locking the crankshaft, 2000033500 toolset for locking the camshafts.

Last edited by nlaci; 18-03-13 at 21:59.
AO Silver Member

County: Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlaci View Post
Hi all,
I just bought a 2009 Alfa 159, with the 1750 TBi engine, and 75000kms on the clock. Over here it's common practice to "adjust" the odometer
Probably worth connecting a diagnostic tool and querying the ECU for its own odometer value, which may be different. That's how it is on the 156 anyway, no clue about the 159.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 19-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well, its kind of funny, because the engine ECU actually shows a few 100kms less than the dashboard - ECU is now at like 77400, odometer is at 77750. Is this normal, maybe different signal source used?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlaci View Post
Well, its kind of funny, because the engine ECU actually shows a few 100kms less than the dashboard - ECU is now at like 77400, odometer is at 77750. Is this normal, maybe different signal source used?
Yes this is pretty normal.
AO Silver Member

County: Manchester
Yep. Not sure how it works, but I found my odometer reading to be about 5% higher than the ECU, which is roughly how much faster the speedo reads compared to reality.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
1750 , belt , cambelt , replacement , tbi , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page