2.0 JTS - More power when cold...anyone else? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 15-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Sussex
Garage

Member car:

GTV 2.0 jts (P3)

2.0 JTS - More power when cold...anyone else?

Hi all. My P3 GTV is really gutsy when it is getting up to temperature, but once at temperature it feels much less powerful. Does anyone else experience this?

I'm assuming it is mainly to do with different fuel maps at different temperatures. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Only that cold air is more dense therefore the engine's getting more oxygen or do you mean even in the summer months too ?
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

I find this in the cold weather too, just seems to have a bit more low-down grunt. I'd attributed this to denser cold air.

Might just be a bit psychosomatic though!
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

More than likely the additional fuel. You have to drop something daft like -10 degrees to make 1hp additional to normal amebient tempertures.

In your minds...
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 17-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Sussex
Garage

Member car:

GTV 2.0 jts (P3)

I'm referring to the engine temp as opposed to outside temp. I also expected it was likely due to a richer fuel mix...possibly even cutting out the lean-burn part of the JTS cycle (if you know what I mean).

Does anyone have any knowledge as to exactly when and how the fuel maps change, and any other auxiliary mechanisms that are enabled/disabled as the car comes up to temperature?
Grahameo

JTS must be different, usually it's the opposite

Cold start ECU limit running the cold program until a nominal temperature is reached then 100% power is available... It's normal
Can be bypassed by a REMAP but why, when you should be taking it steady and being mechanically sympathetic anyway...

In other words, it stops you being a TOOL until the engine and mechanical's can take it

Then again, the amount of knackered JTS engine's being reported, maybe they shouldn't have changed it!

Last edited by Grahameo; 17-01-13 at 19:29.

AO Member

County: Canterbury

Member car:

1997 155 2.0 16v

Help

Hi all from New Zealand!!

I have a similar problem...my '05 JTS pings when up to temperature. It is quiet as a mouse when below the 90ish deg mark it won;t ping but will above this temp.
This pinging only seems to happen after powering on after over-run or going up a hill with med to heavy throttle on. It generally won't ping on the first squirt of power but will on subsequent quick stabs on the throttle.

Thoughts anyone?

Thank you

Oliver
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZOLIVER View Post
Hi all from New Zealand!!

I have a similar problem...my '05 JTS pings when up to temperature. It is quiet as a mouse when below the 90ish deg mark it won;t ping but will above this temp.
This pinging only seems to happen after powering on after over-run or going up a hill with med to heavy throttle on. It generally won't ping on the first squirt of power but will on subsequent quick stabs on the throttle.
Could well be due to carbon build-up, the richer mixture before the engine reached normal operating temperature resisting pre-ignition. Shortly after buying my JTS engined car I took it to Gus (Alfa Tuner) for a remap and he advised me to occasionally use injector cleaner as this is considered to be beneficial for the JTS engines, putting it in at a stronger mixture than recommended at one can per quarter tank of fuel.
I have been using BG44K but any cleaner should do. I certainly noticed an improvement in engine performance afterwards. Possibly better to avoid cheap supermarket fuels also? I don't know as always use Shell V-Power or other 98 octane fuel when abroad.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
coldanyone , jts , power

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page