TS/JTS gearbox oil drain - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 22-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
TS/JTS gearbox oil drain

I looked in the GTV Repair Instructions pdf manual and came up with this instruction as part of gearbox removal gearbox_remove.jpg which only mentions removing the one plug to drain the gearbox.

I also did a web search and came up with this image gearbox.jpg which indicates that there is also another plug. It seems strange to have a plug to drain just to the differential, I cannot see the point in that.

My question is does anyone know that to completely drain the oil from the differential, should the higher drain plug be removed as well? Access to the higher plug is difficult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

gtv ts phase 2

just undo the bottom one mate it drains the whole box then fill back up from the top one simples lol
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 11-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Thanks for the reply. The reason I was asking is because I have gearbox whine following bearing failure whilst on a driving holiday to France/Portugal - I carried on driving for a further 3,000 miles after the problem first arose. I replaced the mineral oil put in when all the six bearings were replaced with Liqui-Moly SAE 75 W-90 fully synthetic (which I had used before on my old 156) which reduced the whine quite a bit but not totally, I thought that maybe some of the old mineral oil may still be in the differential area of the gearbox. The mechanic that changed the oil did not have a suitable allen key for that higher drain plug.

I guess I'll just have to live with the whine. Trouble is that once you know there is a problem you listen out for it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
drain , gearbox , oil , ts or jts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page