Knob Change Issues Reverse and sixth gear - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 16-12-12 Thread Starter

County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa GT

Knob Change Issues Reverse and sixth gear

Hello all,

I am having a few issues with my gear selections ie 6th and reverse....... GT 1.9 jtd
I was trying changing my gear knob had a few issues trying to get the old one off
got most of the way there and the plastic of the knob was on the gear lever shaft was stuck..... got my mate to to have a go to get it off he twisted it off anti clockwise with molegrips but as he was turning it i hear a snap sound, everything looked ok until i fitted my new knob......

I now have no seperation between 6th and reverse making it a bit tricky to drive.... ie reverse engages without the lift collar being lifted and when trying to be put in 6th gear could easily go into reverse

Does anyone have any ideas??????????

Thanks

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

garybazza

Sounds like the part on the collar that stops you hitting reverse until you lift it has snapped off. Take the gear knob off and remove the collar to have a look, will easily tell if it has. New part is about £20 or cheaper if you get one from breakers.

(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 16-12-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa GT

Hi bud, thank you will have a look tomorrow, hopefully i will see when i take it out. I really appreciate your help. I did find a white piece of plastic loose in there not sure where that came from. You keep you all posted thanks again...Aaron
AO Silver Member

County: Inverclyde

Member car:

'04 156 GTA

That's just put me off changing mine ! I've got a new gear knob sitting on a shelf.
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 18-12-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa GT

They are a bit tricky but is worth doing, prefer my new one over the standard alfa one...........
Mines is all fixed £20 later just to warn anyone there is a fair amount of force that was need to remove my gear know (Stupid amount really) should never be that tight. I would advise if removing your gear knob get a mate to hold the lift collar up when trying to remove the old knob to avoid the issue I had........................Lesson learnt

Thanks for all your help GARYBAZZA

Aaron
garybazza

Thats ok aaron no worries glad you have sorted it. They are a nightmare to remove, the early GTs pull off and the later ones twist off. Mine pulled off but did take a bit of heat and brute force! May of been easier just to hacksaw it off!

Last edited by garybazza; 20-12-12 at 05:46.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
change , gear , issues , knob , reverse , sixth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page