156 2.4 JTD 10V Replacement Turbo Pipe - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 28-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

156 jtd

156 2.4 JTD 10V Replacement Turbo Pipe

After spending a while looking for ways to fix my split top pipe on my 10v JTD I thought I would have a go at buying the pipe and bends to do it myself.

My Car is a V reg so thats 2000 plate 156, this might apply to your car it might not but this is what I have done.

First off the piping you need is 57mm (2.25") for silicone pipes this is the inner diameter and for alloy / steel pipes this is the outer diameter.

From ebay I bought:

2 Nr 45 deg silicone bends 57mm ID
1 Nr 90 deg alluminium bend with 300mm legs 57mm OD
10 pack of 55-70mm hose clips

Ebay links for reference:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2707700087...84.m1497.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3306121023...84.m1497.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3305514837...84.m1497.l2649

Total cost was £48.02 - delivered

Parts arrived, clips not shown.

Woops, I was looking at pictures of the 20V when I ordered these bends, the inlet on my 10V is straight rather than at 45deg as on the newer engines. Also see the horrible grotty pipe that is there at the moment.

After a bit of wiggle I think this will work. Its not ideal but its important not to put any load on the joints by forcing it to fit as the hoses will come off when driving.

Here you can see I have marked up the pipes for cutting, making sure I leave a nice big overlap to stop the hoses popping off. Note the scientifically drawn straight lines.

Bit of cutting later and I have this. After cutting my aluminium I filed the sharp edge off and ran over it with some 600 grit sand paper (its all I had) so the edges were smooth and wouldnt cut fingers or silicone pipe. Then I pushed a towel through the pipe to pick up all of the nasty bits of aluminium that was hiding in the cut pipe. You dont want that in your engine.

and to show the intercooler joint:

Obviously I then added a hose clip to each end of the silicone bends ( 4 in total) and did it all up.

Job Jobbed.

Hope that helps somebody. In hindsight I think a 45 deg aluminium pipe would have been better and then you would only need 1 45 deg silicone bend. However the aluminium will not be long enough to reach the engine so you will either need a 300mm length of 57mm silicone or you could get more aluminium pipe and some couplers.

Up to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kent
I think I'll just stick with the oe pipe!
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 06-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

156 jtd

Lol.

I know the current routing looks a bit naff but was posting up to show how you do it, pipe diameters etc.

If somebody puts a bit more effort in working out what bends to buy then they can have something that looks much prettier. However it works great, loads better than having a split pipe and for half the price of any other solutions.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
Be nice to support the pipe a little. Still good work.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
10v , 156 , jtd , pipe , replacement , turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page