Gone V6 loopy! GPDH's fault!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 10-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Member car:

Red 156 GTA

Hmmm Gone V6 loopy! GPDH's fault!!!

Well read around alot on the subject of V6 Alfas as advised by GPHD and got to say the Brera or the Gt seems a good option. I have read reviews for both and the GT seems to have scored highly and is quite a bit cheaper to buy. Now I have seen one with all mods(2005) suspension, remap, exhaust, filter ... but is nearly 9000. But there are nice low milage ones for 6000ish so what to do on that front? i wonder if Id be better with the cheaper and get JJD at York to do the same mods? I do appreciate all the comments on previous posts and you may be getting fed up of me but i need this Alfa to be right and for the long run. Also they all seem such great cars it is hard to make up my mind. If I was honest it is a choice of a cheaper GT/Brera V6 or go the whole hog cash wise and buy a Mito Cloverleaf/Giulietta Veloce???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
Buy the GT. last of the busso ALFA engines and still on the platform used in motorsport. Brera is a GM unit. Has camchain issues and as the car is so heavy you'll be a bit dissapointed in the power as well as the handling although build quality is a step up.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
I've told you before Joss, whisper it! You will have SR on your case otherwise
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I know mate. I did give him his build quality point but tbh the evidence speaks for itself. How many Brera's have you seen in motorsport? No GT's either that i'm aware of but the GT floor pan is a derivitive of the 156 , 147 so it should come up trumps
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Joss needs to own one of each & drive them regularly before he writes the Brera off.

Joss, exactly how many miles have you done in a V6 Brera

Anyway, this is a discussion (again) for GAD
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Joss needs to own one of each & drive them regularly before he writes the Brera off.

Joss, exactly how many miles have you done in a V6 Brera

Anyway, this is a discussion (again) for GAD
I didn't write it off Si. I've just hi-lighted some basic points. GT has a busso, Brera does not. GT has a platform used in motorsport, Brera does not, GM V6 has cam chain stretch issues due to not using a duplex chain. Busso does not. Brera weighs 1.7 tons, GT only 1.5. I've not written to Brera off at all have I? The Brera is a great car but deserves a the V8 maser engine it was designed for. Plus it has far better build quality as point out by you and is far prettier i suppose what i should have said is depends what you want from the car.

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned

Last edited by Joss; 11-11-12 at 09:36.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss View Post
I didn't write it off Si. I've just hi-lighted some basic points. GT has a busso, Brera does not. GT has a platform used in motorsport, Brera does not, GM V6 has cam chain stretch issues due to not using a duplex chain. Busso does not. Brera weighs 1.7 tons, GT only 1.5. I've not written to Brera off at all have I? The Brera is a great car but deserves a the V8 maser engine it was designed for. Plus it has far better build quality as point out by you and is far prettier i suppose what i should have said is depends what you want from the car.
That was the problem with the Brera - it didn't receive the Maserati V8 as planned and would have been a great Italian sports car if it had.

Anyway, I'm not repeating again what I said in the other post

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
fault , gpdh , loopy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page