Diesel or petrol??????? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 02-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Member car:

Red 156 GTA

Hmmm Diesel or petrol???????

Hi all,
well I have taken in all said on my previous thread on the GT v Brera/159 petrol cars and really it would be a choice between the v6 engines but could I afford to run them. But to complicate things i talked to a couple of Alfa tuners and they said maybe diesel is the way to go!!! So ive looked at GT 1.9 and the 1.9 and 2.4 in the Brera/159. BUT then I read a thread on here about the woeful lack of MPG in the 2.4 engine and now am totally confused??? SO could all you people with far more experience and expertise than me please help once again! I would like to remap but if it was the V6 petrol that would only be for MPG and driveability as it is quick enough for an old gimmer like me.
All ideas most welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 10 Old 05-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Member car:

Red 156 GTA

Have decided on diesel. Either a Cloverleaf GT or 2.4 159.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

I have seen and heard many comments about thirsty 2.4's on the 159 and Brera. However Happy Man on here does quite well out of his Brera 2.4.
AO Member

County: Greater London
I had a GT 1.9 diesel and now have a Brera 2.2 petrol. Personally, it's not just about the engine. The Brera is beautiful, but heavy and not as responsive as my GT was. The seats are also far less supportive, the rear seats are pointless and headroom is also not great. The GT had a more 'Alfa' feel to it, even though it was a diesel. I'd still have my GT now, if it hadn't been written off after being rear-ended by 'white van man'. I'm seriously looking at getting another GT - and it will be a diesel - hopefully a Cloverleaf, if I can find a decent one! Just my opinion - more GT vs Brera as opposed to 2.4 v 1.9, But I just think the GT is a better driver's car.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtkc View Post
I had a GT 1.9 diesel and now have a Brera 2.2 petrol. Personally, it's not just about the engine. The Brera is beautiful, but heavy and not as responsive as my GT was. The seats are also far less supportive, the rear seats are pointless and headroom is also not great. The GT had a more 'Alfa' feel to it, even though it was a diesel. I'd still have my GT now, if it hadn't been written off after being rear-ended by 'white van man'. I'm seriously looking at getting another GT - and it will be a diesel - hopefully a Cloverleaf, if I can find a decent one! Just my opinion - more GT vs Brera as opposed to 2.4 v 1.9, But I just think the GT is a better driver's car.
Interesting because for looks I can't choose. I did before buying my GT prefer the Brera but now would have either for looks. From the front and rear the Brera all day long but I think the profile of the GT is prettier.
That 5 cylinder diesel is a belter. I hate the diesel [racket] in my Taxi.. ooh err GT
AO Member

County: Greater London
Malc QV - Agreed. The profile of the GT is nicer. Personally, I love it from all angles, but the Brera is just that little bit different, front and rear, to almost anything else on the road - and in a good way! Like you, I also preferred the Brera, before buying my GT, but finances at the time would not stretch to buying one. I'm glad they didn't in a way, because otherwise I would not have experienced the GT!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtkc View Post
Malc QV - Agreed. The profile of the GT is nicer. Personally, I love it from all angles, but the Brera is just that little bit different, front and rear, to almost anything else on the road - and in a good way! Like you, I also preferred the Brera, before buying my GT, but finances at the time would not stretch to buying one. I'm glad they didn't in a way, because otherwise I would not have experienced the GT!
Same here. I had settled with the idea of either a 159 (preferably 2.4) or GT.
I really like the 946 Spider too
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
I have come from. V6 to. 19jtd.....

The V6 is awesome, best engine I have ever had. v. Thirsty tho! However I enjoy the diesel more, its a lot slower, no why near as smooth......but the jtd is a strong engine, it runs on fresh air and because of that I find ibhave heap more disposable income. I go places more often, filling up just doesnt bother me!

Now get a remap on a JTD and you wont look at a petrol ever again.

GT for me too! Perfeft apart from the hash ride lol.
AO Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

My thinking is that driving a modern diesel is a false economy. You may save money in mpg terms but the tricky economy, drive and power gaining systems they employ do break and need expensive sorting along with the higher purchase cost etc put me off.

My 1.9 JTD GT is soon going to be replaced by something petrol powered to save me money, but then I only use a car on the weekend so it's maybe more noticeable keeping the thing running than the fuel costs compared to your everyday car user
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
Anyone can afford a V6. Its just how much you are prepared to compromise in other aspects of your life

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
diesel , petrol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page