156 1.6 valve replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 12-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

156 1.6 valve replacement

Hi, I'm new to the site so I appologise if this is a done thread already.

I recieved a 156 at the weekend ( my first car !) however, the timing belt has been shredded, and around 9 of the valves are now crooked ( I pressume this is engineered in, let the valves go before the head).

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Or know the cause? And where to get info to rebuild?

Any info's great info!

Cheers

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kent
Cam belt failure.

Do a search in the engines lounge and the various models lounges, loads and loads of info.

Recon head, head gasket set, water pump, cam belt tensioner and idler and new big end shells and of course all new fluids required as well as some special tools.

Click the project link on my sig, I rebuilt a 2.0 Gtv that have suffered a belt failure and you can see what is needed.
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 22-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Looks in depth! Why the need to replace water pump? Hopeing to get my hands dirty this weekend and see if the pistons are damaged, and how the valves are looking.
Cheers for the info!
AO Gold Member

No need to change the water pump, just a false economy not to if you are doing the other work, its recommended.

As is an inspection of the bearing shells at the bottom of the engine....
(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 28-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

So this is my first update! Got the head in my garage. Piston's seem fine, not check the bottom end yet.
This is it in transit
004.jpg

The worst affected valves appear to be the exhaust valves
006.jpg

However some of the inlets also have damage
007.jpg

So, plan at this point is to whip em all out, check everything, and then either rebuild with new, or, have a barter with a scrappers.

So i removed all the bearing cases, and variator case ( or so I'm led to believe it's called).
The variator case was a bit of a bugger to get off, so i used a lump of wood and a big 'ummer to give it a bit of persuassion and to break the seals effectively, and then off it popped (sigh of relief).
I'm neatly arranging everything off of the floor in a box in order, so I can keep track.
009.jpg

So, to get the valves out of the springs, I was informed to use this technique:
Put some wood under the valves on a bench. Use a 15mm socket and a hammer, hit on the top of the spring case. The wood underneath will stop the valve opening, causing the grommits to pop out of the top. Warning, it all springs out! so keep an eye on where everything goes!

Ive only done the exhaust side, will do inlet side tomorrow hopefully!
(Post Link) post #6 of 15 Old 28-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Oh and heres a pic of the car in situ atm

006.jpg
AO Gold Member

Don't release the springs like that.

Buy or borrow the proper tool for the job. For a start, how will you put them back?

Some of the advice people give is terrible. Also, make sure everything goes back in the same place, the same way round.

And don't forget to check the guides.
(Post Link) post #8 of 15 Old 29-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

I thought that, but the advice was from a chap who works for vauxhall so went with it. He's said I can take it to him for him to put all the springs back with the correct tool . Got everything in order and stored, cam layed out then the followers the correspond to each lobe, then springs and grommits.
Not too sure what sort of damage im looking for on the guide front to be honest?
AO Gold Member

Visually you are looking for cracks and chips, other than that you don't want excessive "play" with the valve inserted.

My valves were pretty badly damaged and I replaced all 16 but all the guides were all ok.
(Post Link) post #10 of 15 Old 30-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Cheers Mitch, will have an inspection tonight! Not all the valves are damaged, but I'm airing on the cautious side.
I'm looking at getting an elearn workshop manual for all the torque values for the rebuild, only a few quid from ebay.
(Post Link) post #11 of 15 Old 31-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Update 2

Latest update (tinkering in the garage to avoid halloween)

All the valves are now out, and springs, lifters, collets and cams all stored in order
004.jpg

I found a corroded plug, all the rest are clean in the barrels so I pressume it was just the wear that had let in all the nasties?
002.jpg

I've also noticed alot of black elastic sealent I guess it must be:
003.jpg

Any clues on the best method of cleaning it off?
And also and clues on the best product for de carbonising?
I've tryed inspecting all the valve seats, however the exhaust side is well compacted, so I'm struggling a little on that front.

Also, should I get it skimmed? or just give it a scrub with something? If I just need to give it a scrub, what with?! (amatureism showing through).
It currently looks like this:
006.jpg

So yeah, if you can help on any of the fronts with some advice, it'd be greatly appreciated!
Oh and I've check top and bottom sides of all valve guides, they all seem to be fine and dandy, no cracking to report on and very little/ no wobble! hurrah!

Plan now is to order all new valves, plus lapping fluid (any clues on good products?) a timing kit and cam locking set, an elearn cd from ebay for torqueing values and anything else that crops up!
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
take it for a skim and ask them to clean it for you, saves so much time and mess, i think i paid about £10 ontop of the skim..
(Post Link) post #13 of 15 Old 05-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

The main suspect!

Diagnosis is that it's this
photo(1).jpg
that is causing all the problems, it's the bottom sprocket that has some play in it, and this is causing the belt to wear, the last one went in 5000 miles.
No one seems to know what it's called, so if anyone can inform me that'd be ace! Even better would be to tell me where it's from/how to fix the play in it!
(Post Link) post #14 of 15 Old 11-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

It's been a while since I've posted in here due to uni comitments, however, i now have the majority of parts needed to re-con the head (a third of the price for parts as i was expecting, I used this company - Trechii engine parts for private and commercial vehicles I sent them a message asking if they could make up a kit for the 156 similiar to their others on offer, and in two days it was on the doorstep!)
So this is where I'm at, about ready to start valve grinding. If anyone has any handy tips and tricks to do with anything head based, or timing belt kits or even putting all the parts of the jigsaw back together (I have an e-learn manual which has been very handy but doesnt have any "avoid doing this" or "this will make three steps next easier" sort of things)
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 09-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Valve lapping issues

So I've cleaned up the head (after 3 hours elbow greece and one stabbed thumb):
photo(4).jpg

Once I'd cleaned it up i used a cloth and coated all bare metal in motor oil.

The lapping in of valves I was hoping to just wrap the end of the valve in a rag and use a drill to aid lapping in. However the chuck of the drill doesn't fit - and I've attempted by hand but seem to be having no luck, any-one use any specific tools when they've done it?

Any info or links would be grand, cheers

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , replacement , valve

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page