EGR Valve - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 28-09-12 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
MalcQV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 13,519

Member car:

Office Chair.

EGR Valve

Well it looks like the third time this year my EGR valve needs cleaning 1.9JTD-M. It is a simple job and I don't mind doing it, but is there an underlying issue?
Three times in 9 months seems excessive.
MalcQV is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
gammakeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 822

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

When you say cleaning do you just mean swilling the unit out with carb cleaner or have you drilled the housing and drifted out the solenoid actuator for a full clean up? If only the former then you need to either replace the valve or completely dismantle and clean the solenoid. I completely dismantled mine a year and a half ago and its been fine since.

Keith
gammakeith is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 17 Old 30-09-12 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
MalcQV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 13,519

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammakeith View Post
When you say cleaning do you just mean swilling the unit out with carb cleaner or have you drilled the housing and drifted out the solenoid actuator for a full clean up? If only the former then you need to either replace the valve or completely dismantle and clean the solenoid. I completely dismantled mine a year and a half ago and its been fine since.

Keith
Thanks, I have only done the former. As it happens you reminded me that was a task for today. I can't be bothered now it will have to wait.
MalcQV is offline  
CJO
Status: Enjoying a nice mug of tea
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bedfordshire
Posts: 1,752
what sort of trips are you doing - if just short ones the engine does not get up to tempreture so the gunk builds up quicker
CJO is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 17 Old 01-10-12 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
MalcQV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 13,519

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post
what sort of trips are you doing - if just short ones the engine does not get up to tempreture so the gunk builds up quicker
Yep that could be a contributing factor. The valve is full of black carbon when I take it off to clean it and once cleaned works smoothly when pushed.
My average journey to work (and from) depending whether at home or my girlfriends is between 12 and 16 miles. It does do more at weekends but the weekly mileage is low and as you say may be part of the problem. Not worried as such unless there is a serious underlying problem for the quick build up of carbon.
There seemed to be excessive smoke when it was MOT'd and the technician said he thought the same but it passed with flying colours but I do wonder as that was the point I last had to clean the EGR and did so after the MOT.

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
MalcQV is offline  
CJO
Status: Enjoying a nice mug of tea
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bedfordshire
Posts: 1,752
smoke could also be a holed/split turbo hose - the lower one is especially known for this.

You could try blanking off the ERG which would stop the build up however some cars will throw a constant error message - there are a number of threads in the 156/147/GT forum area on this.
CJO is offline  
Status: loving my ALFA
AO Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 860

Member car:

alfa gt jtdm

A remap and EGR delete will solve all your problems
300stu is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 17 Old 01-10-12 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
MalcQV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 13,519

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post
smoke could also be a holed/split turbo hose - the lower one is especially known for this.

You could try blanking off the ERG which would stop the build up however some cars will throw a constant error message - there are a number of threads in the 156/147/GT forum area on this.
Unlikely to be lower hose, I replaced it with an AutoLusso hose about 10 months ago. yep aware of blanking off but I think it also lights the EML?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300stu View Post
A remap and EGR delete will solve all your problems
Always an option, always. One I had not realised.
MalcQV is offline  
CJO
Status: Enjoying a nice mug of tea
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bedfordshire
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300stu View Post
A remap and EGR delete will solve all your problems
This depends on the age of the car - this can not be done for most 147/156/GTs although it works for some 159s
CJO is offline  
CJO
Status: Enjoying a nice mug of tea
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bedfordshire
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
Unlikely to be lower hose, I replaced it with an AutoLusso hose about 10 months ago. yep aware of blanking off but I think it also lights the EML?


Always an option, always. One I had not realised.
If blanking triggers the EML then you will not be able to delete - check with Gus as he is the real expert on this matter.
CJO is offline  
Status: 1750TBIecusoftware.. done!.40+bhp
AO Silver Member
 
ALFA TUNER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Merseyside
Posts: 3,480

Member car:

various Alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post
This depends on the age of the car - this can not be done for most 147/156/GTs although it works for some 159s
We can do them all
ALFA TUNER is offline  
CJO
Status: Enjoying a nice mug of tea
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bedfordshire
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFA TUNER View Post
We can do them all

Is this new ? I remember a few years back you were unable to "fix" older cars.
CJO is offline  
Status: 1750TBIecusoftware.. done!.40+bhp
AO Silver Member
 
ALFA TUNER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Merseyside
Posts: 3,480

Member car:

various Alfas

Let's just say that as cars get older we don't mind releasing certain things
ALFA TUNER is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Sooty159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Durham
Posts: 926

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFA TUNER View Post
Let's just say that as cars get older we don't mind releasing certain things
Would this be worth doing to a car thats already been remapped (One of yours via JJB in york)?
Sooty159 is offline  
Status: 1750TBIecusoftware.. done!.40+bhp
AO Silver Member
 
ALFA TUNER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Merseyside
Posts: 3,480

Member car:

various Alfas

PM send.
ALFA TUNER is offline  
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lincolnshire
Posts: 6
Your EGR is unfortunately not mechanically operated. It depends on solenoid operation. If you clean it, from the moment you box it up again if your solenoid is not operating at precisely the correct moment then the coking up process starts almost straight away! Terrible design unfortunately! Get the EGR disabled and your DPF removed. It DOES NOT affect mot. If you have had several EGR cleans then your inlet manifold probably choked up! Remove that and cleaned. Get turbo wastegate valves checked. I spent £430 on EGR and DPF removal, a further £300 on turbo and inlet manifold cleaning!! My Alfa 159 2.4 jtdm had run like a dream for 5 months! I no longer have to drive it like I've nicked it! It drives like a car should! Economically when I want it and very quick when required! It's a lot of money to spend but worth it!
brian young is offline  
(Post Link) post #17 of 17 Old 22-03-13 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
MalcQV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 13,519

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian young View Post
Your EGR is unfortunately not mechanically operated. It depends on solenoid operation. If you clean it, from the moment you box it up again if your solenoid is not operating at precisely the correct moment then the coking up process starts almost straight away! Terrible design unfortunately! Get the EGR disabled and your DPF removed. It DOES NOT affect mot. If you have had several EGR cleans then your inlet manifold probably choked up! Remove that and cleaned. Get turbo wastegate valves checked. I spent £430 on EGR and DPF removal, a further £300 on turbo and inlet manifold cleaning!! My Alfa 159 2.4 jtdm had run like a dream for 5 months! I no longer have to drive it like I've nicked it! It drives like a car should! Economically when I want it and very quick when required! It's a lot of money to spend but worth it!
Thanks for that.
MalcQV is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
egr , valve

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
egr valve warning light and glow plugs jonny harte Alfa 147, 156 & GT 0 22-09-12 21:53
Which EGR valve?? Alfred Rowmero Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider 7 13-03-12 12:58
Cleaning the EGR valve without removing it. giordano92 Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider 5 31-01-11 09:33
Brera JTDM - EGR Valve + Glowplugs Fierce Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider 1 19-05-09 16:58
EGR Valve badgers_nadgers Alfa 164 & 166 3 26-01-07 17:09

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome