2.2 JTS Starter Motor R&R - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 11-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Alessandria
2.2 JTS Starter Motor R&R

A few times the 2.2 JTS in my Spider failed to start. This problem seems to be associated with hot weather and spirited driving (I think). Tapping the starter solenoid seemed to fix the problem (I think), but waiting for 5 minutes with the bonnet open also did the trick once. So, it could be a heat related problem or perhaps it's the starter or perhaps it's just a random Alfa gremlin which I will never catch up with. I have an urge to look at the starter motor and solenoid.

A peek inside the engine bay leads me to believe that I can remove the starter and get it up on my workbench without doing anything other than disconnecting some wiring and removing the mounting bolts; i.e. at first glance it looks like a quick and easy job because of the small size of the 2.2 JTS relative to the size of the engine bay, position of the starter and radiator, etc.

Are there any surprises in store for me? If I have to raise the car, for example, I need to budget more time.

I'm guessing that the external solenoid uses 1940's technology and has a typical disk shaped copper contactor. In my experience, these things become pitted and often the disk can be flipped over or otherwise repositioned and reinstalled, which, along with a little appropriate cleaning and lubrication, effectively renews the starter for another thousand or more starts.

If anyone has been inside their starter lately or if any 2.2 JTS owners have removed their starter, I would appreciate any tips or information about potential stumbling points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 2 Old 13-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Alessandria
OK, apparently I'm the only guy who ever removed a 2.2 JTS starter. I decided not to wait any longer for my questions to be answered and went ahead and did the starter job this morning. Here's what I learned.

Yes, you can remove it from the top if you're pretty handy with tools. But if I had to do it again, I might put the car up on stands and remove the belly pan to make the job easier. If you drop something working from the top, it won't fall out the bottom and you might have to remove the belly pan anyway.

The Spider workshop manual (and the 159 manual) both show a three bolt starter with a stabilizing bracket but mine is a two bolt affair without any bracket. R&R is pretty straightforward without any surprises. It's tight and I'm sure I'll have purple bruises on my forearms tomorrow.

My starter looked to be in pretty good shape. I cleaned it up and greased the appropriate places. I removed the solenoid, but unfortunately I could not gain access to the contactor inside the housing. I did a little tapping and exploring, but I think the housing containing the windings is crimped onto the plastic end which houses the actual switch, so flipping the copper disk over, assuming that's what inside there, (the actual job I hoped to do) was impossible.

So, after inspecting and cleaning the parts, I put everything back together. There's no way to get my large torque wrench in from the top and my short torque wrench isn't powerful enough, so I used some Locktite on the mounting bolts and used my experience to approximate the proper torque. This ain't my first rodeo, as they say, but rank amateurs should use care not to under-tighten the mounting bolts. It's doubtful if anyone could over tighten the bolts using a short wrench from the top.

The starter works and only time will tell if will let me down in the future.

Does anyone know if I can buy the solenoid alone without also buying a starter?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
jts , motor , randr , starter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page