Hanging Idle - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

reveds1969

Hanging Idle

Hi to all
Really getting frustrated at not been able to sort my idling speed on my 2.0ltr GTV its a phase 1 1997.
Symtoms are as follows
Drive the car at twenty miles per hour at dip the clutch no accelerator and the cars idle drops to 1500rpm and remains there until i stop then it hangs abit then returns to 800rpm
I have changed the idle speed control valve for another but issue still remains
im guessing it has to be a sensor or connector/wiring anyone ever had this happen and has a cure.
Please Please Please give me an idea
Is it the crank sensor ? as i guess that is one of the sensors that knows the cars still moving ?
I know it sounds daft but the idle should drop to 800 with car moving shouldnt it !!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by reveds1969 View Post
Hi to all
Really getting frustrated at not been able to sort my idling speed on my 2.0ltr GTV its a phase 1 1997.
Symtoms are as follows
Drive the car at twenty miles per hour at dip the clutch no accelerator and the cars idle drops to 1500rpm and remains there until i stop then it hangs abit then returns to 800rpm
I have changed the idle speed control valve for another but issue still remains
im guessing it has to be a sensor or connector/wiring anyone ever had this happen and has a cure.
Please Please Please give me an idea
Is it the crank sensor ? as i guess that is one of the sensors that knows the cars still moving ?
I know it sounds daft but the idle should drop to 800 with car moving shouldnt it !!!!!!!
Yes, it should drop when moving if you push the clutch in.

Take it you have a throttle cable? Try the throttle reset (90 secs on/off/idle). It should work for a Phase 1, although I've only ever tried on my 156 CF2. If not you may need a diagnostic and get the idle actuator reset. It's out-of-sync with the ecu now.
reveds1969

Thanks gazza
This is going to sound daft but i had an alarm fitted with a remote start facility i removed a chip from the courtesy key to tape to the aerial around the ignition switch. Would this affect the reset as i understand it to reset is as follows
Turn key to mar for 90 sec
Turn ignition off for 90 sec
Start car and let idle for 15 mins without touching throttle
Turn off ignition and leave for 10 mins
Start car and take for a drive

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Have you cleaned the throttle body it sounds like its letting by, or even a sticky throttle cable. the 97 TS was a CF1. early 156's are CF2
reveds1969

Well pleased to say idle issue is put to bed for good.
A very good friend of mine let me use his fiat examiner this afternoon and i navigated my way to the check sensors page i proceded through the different tests injectors and got to the idle speed control valve this was working sort of seemed the two halfs of the unit had become loose so sorted that out but idle still odd after a few more tests got to the sensor on the left of the car which has two plastic blue pipes coming from it one fromthe inlet manifold and the other dissapears back to the boot into a black breather box this sensor would not click pulse cleaned connectors and my problem was solved. So im off to an excellent start to the weekend. Hope this helps others out

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
hanging , idle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page