2.0 Twin Spark Knowledge Required. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 27-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
2.0 Twin Spark Knowledge Required.

Hi, Any help appreciated ( i've searched a few threads but all quite old so thought i'd go down this route )

Alfa 145 2.0 Twin Spark 65k year 2000

The engine has a noise at idle, when on the move it can't be heard ( maybe engine noise hiding it ) After a search was identified as the Auxiliary Belt ( which is only a few months old and only done a few hundred miles changed by previous owner ), engine runs quite as a mouse without it on. We thought it was the power steering pump because when the wheel was moved the noise pitch changed, anyway this didn't solve the problem. So can anyone suggest which other item its likely to be ( Air - Con, Alternator, or Balance Thing )

All help greatly appreciated, and if ive missed any info just ask and find i'll find out for you.

Cheers Simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
can you describe the noise it might give an indication, my first thought would be the idle pully, then the tensioner as these are easy to remove and check.
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

Yeah. I'd have said tensioner or idler first. Mine makes a little squeak and i reakon its the tensioner as its the only thing i dusturbed doing the cam belt.
(Post Link) post #4 of 15 Old 31-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hi guys thanks for the info, sorry about the slow responce i've had computer issues this week.

My noise is more of a constant droan that at first was more noticeable from inside the car, sounds to be coming from straight in front of me when sat in drivers seat. As the months have gone on the noise is now noticeable from outside the car as well, so something is getting worse. As i mentioned before as soon as i give it some revs the noise goes and the cars drives fantastic. Also as mentioned when the Auxiliary belt was removed and engine run the noise was not there at all.

Hope this helps and all info hughly appreciated.

Simon
AO Silver Member

County: Durham
Garage

Member car:

156 Gta Q2

Has the variator ever been changed? They can get quite noisy but doesn't cause any harm so can just be changed along with the next cambelt swap.

Swapped the one on my 155 and the engine quietened down massively. It makes the engine sound a bit like a diesel when its worn.

Dave
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147ts plus bits

Bearings on the alternator?
(Post Link) post #7 of 15 Old 01-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsafc View Post
Has the variator ever been changed? They can get quite noisy but doesn't cause any harm so can just be changed along with the next cambelt swap.

Swapped the one on my 155 and the engine quietened down massively. It makes the engine sound a bit like a diesel when its worn.

Dave
Cheers Dave, not sure if the variator has been done, the belts are only 1k old so will be a while before they need doin again. I know what you mean about the diesel noise, just more of a constand droan droan/wine rather than a diesel noise.
(Post Link) post #8 of 15 Old 01-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
Bearings on the alternator?
That was one of our thoughts, does anyone know if they are prone to goin ???

After that just leaves air con and guider thing.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
If its a drown i'd say alternator, but check the idler and tensioner first its alot easier than an alternator change
AO Member

County: Sharon
A year ago I had issues with the A/C compressor. Noise only when A/C on. Replaced with rebuilt unit. Back to pure Alfa symphony for four pots and twin sparks.

A few months ago it began developing another unnerving clatter noise at idle that came and went away when revving. Then came back... A month ago it turned constant and would not go away. My Indy replaced the P. Steering pump, tensioner and no joy.

Yesterday I checked her in again for Alternator replacement. Alfa symphony is back!

Bearings were ground. Noise was awful. Almost big ends-like clattet but not same loudness. Not an easy job.

I think another tell can be the Alt. voltage. I Can definitely remember it to be 14.4V. But recently only 13 something. Will let you know if it improved.

Last edited by Alfa_hadera; 05-09-12 at 19:42.
(Post Link) post #11 of 15 Old 11-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_hadera View Post
A year ago I had issues with the A/C compressor. Noise only when A/C on. Replaced with rebuilt unit. Back to pure Alfa symphony for four pots and twin sparks.

A few months ago it began developing another unnerving clatter noise at idle that came and went away when revving. Then came back... A month ago it turned constant and would not go away. My Indy replaced the P. Steering pump, tensioner and no joy.

Yesterday I checked her in again for Alternator replacement. Alfa symphony is back!

Bearings were ground. Noise was awful. Almost big ends-like clattet but not same loudness. Not an easy job.

I think another tell can be the Alt. voltage. I Can definitely remember it to be 14.4V. But recently only 13 something. Will let you know if it improved.

Brilliant Pal, thanks for the info sounds like the same problem as mine, will have to look at having the Alternator changed and fingers crossed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147ts plus bits

I reakon they have a telepathic link these cars... Mine has drive end bearing noises and now have an alternator winging its way towards me. (£35 ebay happyness!!)
(Post Link) post #13 of 15 Old 16-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_hadera View Post

Hi again Pal, just for comparison reasons did your indie find changing the power steering pump any easy or difficult job ( hours in involved would help ) and also what about fitting the Alternator ???

Cheers again, Simon
AO Member

County: Sharon
Hi

I think each is around 2-3 hours out and in - but I have to check w him tomorrow as he never charges the actual time required... So might be more than that. I do know both can be a b***h of a job and he was really p****d when it turned out it wasn't the pump. Of course he refused to charge for it in the end when sorted.

I know of a good way to verify if it is the alt. Take off the belt. Wrap a cable/wire on the alt. pulley a couple of winds and then pull with force and determination. You should hear it if it chatters.

I'll post his answer tomorrow.
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 18-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Cheers again pal, my indie also found the power steering pump a right nightmare and ended up having most of the top part of engine out trying to get to it. On his computer it quotes an hour and half to do the job lol he had nearly all day and was gutted when it made no difference.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
knowledge , required , spark , twin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page