The v6 engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 26-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
The v6 engine

Ive just purchased a 52 plate 156 2.5 v6. Only paid 800 for her she has 130k on the clock cam belt has recently been changed and has a full Alfa service history. How long realistically will this engine live for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Grahameo

As long as you want it too...
It is all down to regular servicing. Most modern engines that are less than 15 years old will go on and on as long as the important wear and tear items a taken care of.

A Busso V6 engine is extremely strong, the 2.5ltr being the strongest simply because it has less stress to handle than the 3.0 or 3.2 variants.

Be fastidious with servicing and your engine will thank you for it...
Every 6,000 or 6 month an oil and filter change 10w40 semi synthetic will suffice but 10w60 fully synthetic will help if the V6 uses more than 1 litre per 2000 miles through burn off, it will reduce it considerably. 10W 60 is a lot more expensive but if you find that the engine is indeed burning of oil naturally which many Alfa's tend to do, then it becomes cost effective to prevent it from doing so.

Every 12,000 or 12 month air filter change paying attention to the air box lid seal and make sure the air box is cleaned of debris before a new filter is fitted. This will prevent MAF issues. Clean the throttle body and inspect the rubber induction hose for splits, no matter how tiny they can effect the running of the engine and lead to other failures in sensors trying to balance out irregular air flow.

Every 24,000 gearbox oil, power steering fluid and brake fluid needs renewing

Every 36,000 new spark plugs (all six) they last a long, long time but are pricey because of that fact.... Make sure that the rear bank was actually changed last service.... Many places and owners don't actually bother due to the extra hassle of removing the plenum chamber. Make a point of inspecting the rubber boots on the separate coil packs for damage, splits or even chuncks missing, this will lead eventually to misfires if left unchecked.

Personally, I also drain and refresh the engine coolant at 36,000. I also remove and replace the thermostat at the same period as a matter of course and give the radiator a thorough inspection with the bumper and fan cowlings removed... It may seem that I like to waste money, but nothing could be further from the truth... Just 3 month of running around in a V6 with a slightly faulty thermostat will use more fuel than what a new thermostat actually costs!

Every 60,000 The big one... Cam belt and auxiliary belt change along with both tensioners and all idlers... If the water pump was also not done, change that too for a 3.0 metal impeller type... Then simply replace it every other cam belt change...

I can't emphasize enough how important this cam belt routine is... It is really the only weak link in the Busso V6 and if kept on top of, there is no reason whatsoever that your engine wont last at least 350,000 mile without a complete rebuild at one stage in its life...

Mine is quite happy at 112,000 miles and my father-in-law has just clocked up 210,000 on his V6... both are just run in

Then there are ancillary parts like gearboxes, clutches, alternators and starter motors

Gearbox will last as well as the engine will. The differential being the weak link but can be upgraded considerably with a Q2 diff or similar performance variant.
Clutches can last between 60,000 and 100,000 dependent on the owner and driving style... They are a struggle to change though... Take the opportunity to change the starter motor at the same time as that is also a nightmare to remove by itself and a lot easier to do at the same time.... I would also recommend getting the alternator checked and/or repaired if not charging well enough when doing the cam belt..

Doing all these things reduces the running cost with forward planning considerably. Before you know it, you have a car that is cheaper to run in maintenance and servicing costs than a 1.9 or a 2.4 JTD.... What you loose in fuel economy, insurance and road tax in comparison, you can gain back by keeping the servicing right
HTH

Last edited by Grahameo; 26-08-12 at 19:20.

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Just like to say the above is an excellent post.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mercedes C350e

I could be wrong...but 'paid 800' 'just had the cambelt done' and 'realistically' could be taken to mean how long will it go if I spend nothing on it...which is a perfectly valid attitude for an 800 car IMO.

In an ideal situation, quite agree with all the points G made.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
The only point of issue I would take on the servicing schedule above is the 6 month/6k oil change. With decent oil, 12 month /12K should be fine, after all, that is the standard schedule. The important bit is the time interval: if you're doing low mileage, then change the oil annually, regardless. I always worry about the possible damage to the bearings when cranking up the engine to fill the empty filter (and if you can get a filter on a 156V6 half full of oil, you have more joints in your hands than I do).

Overall, if it is looked after, the car will be rotten long before the engine breaks. It has always been the same with Alfas....
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 166

I think this goes for most modern cars now days that the bodies rot and start to fall away before anything else.
On high milers its not less improtant to know the miles (as long as servicing is correct) but check components like suspension, body, underside of the car and ancillary items.
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
ive had my car 2 years and only done 3000 miles so where does that leave me hehe ...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 166

It means you have a Lovley v6 that your not driving so get out and drive it!
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
It means you have a Lovley v6 that your not driving so get out and drive it!
haha i know i know bud it spends more time having stuff done to it that and its my weekend car
good old classic insurance 200 quid get the hell in

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page