Broken 147 1.9 JTDm - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 21-08-12 Thread Starter

County: West Sussex

Member car:

Broken 147 1.9 JTDm

Hi Guys,

I have a 147 1.9 JTDm Ducati Corse and, on Saturday, I done something incredibly stupid.......over filled it with oil!

I was caught by surprise when the car suddenly accelerated towards a roundabout (luckily, there was no one coming and was able to get it round). I pulled over on the side of the dual carriageway and turned the engine off. I then, again stupily, started the car again it proceeded to rev its nuts off and plumes of grey and white smoke came out of the exhaust and white smoke from, what i believe to be, the turbo.

After a bit of confusion when I pulled the key out and the engine kept on revving, it eventually cut out. There was no sound of things smashing themselves to pieces. I called out the RAC and got recovered to my friends workshop.

On Sunday, my friend and I drained out the oil, replaced with new and turned it over. She was trying to start but never did. Last night, we looked at the Cambelt which was found to oh so very out of time. This was rectified and again, we turned it over but no joy.

Tonight / tomorrow we are looking at taking the thing apart and assessing the extent of the damage to valves, pistons ect.

I am looking for a bit of advice really. If anyone can suggest where is best to start looking, is there anything silly that we might have missed........I am open to all suggestions / help.

I am also starting to realise that the thing might be dead and that there is no "cost effective" way of repairing it so I have looked into replacing the engine. I have found a factory new one at Auto Lusso. I have heard a lot of good and a lot of bad things about them and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience dealing with them. My pride has taken a big hit and I just want to fix the problem that I have created for myself with the least amount of hassel. Or if anyone else knows of someone who could assist, it would be very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Hi, if it has over reved enough to jump the cam belt then it has probably broken some of the valve rockers and chances are it wont of bent any valves as the rockers are designed to break first.
You will need to take the cam carrier off and any broken rockers will be obvious. It will also be worth checking both cams are timed correctly by using the timing pins as apparently they can move on the pulley.

How much extra oil did you put in it as what you have described is usually the result of the turbo blowing its oil seal and the engine running on the oil blown past it.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 21-08-12 Thread Starter

County: West Sussex

Member car:

When we drained it, there was probably about 7-8 litres that came out. There does appear to be oil coming out of the turbo. As yet, we haven't take this off to have a good look at it. I don't know if the seals can be replaced as opposed to the whole turbo so long as the whole thing isn't knackered. There was a lot of oil in the air pipe when we removed that.

Thanks for your feedback, that make me feel a bit better as the extent of the damage may not be as bad as I currently fear.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
147 , broken , jtdm

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page