1.9 jtd 16v mjet 140 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 01-08-12 Thread Starter

County: Leicestershire
1.9 jtd 16v mjet 140

Hi can anyone help ? My jtd 16v mjet (140) runs great turbo kicks in around 1500 - 2000 it sounds great no nasty noises and it fires the car along. The problem is when you go over 80 it seems to cut the turbo out then i am struggling to get up to speed once you stop its ok again it seems to work fine around town. Car has done 86.000 serviced all its life. Any info would be a god send got a few more questions if i get a responce. Good with a spanner so no probs if its technical :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

sounds like ecu cutting the boost, do you get a motor control system failure message?

need to do a diagnostic on it to be sure of whats going on

and look at these symptoms and fixes

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...blems-fix.html
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 01-08-12 Thread Starter

Hi mate thanks for reply
No there are no system lights or anythingi got a bad feeling the turbo has gone. But the having said that the turbo works perfect at slower speeds??
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

if its spooling up at lower revs (making the whooshing noise) then it can only be the ecu not liking something and shutting the turbo down.

is there a sudden drop in power or a gradual one ? ive had all manner of problems with mine with the turbo hoses and the turbo control solinoid hoses, you can see them on the diagrams on the link i provided

you really need an OBD reader and laptop to look at what the engines doing, or take it to someone like Autolusso
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 01-08-12 Thread Starter

It runs so well drove it home from work today turbo was whooshing perfect right through the rev range loads of power ect i put her though her paces she performed faultless the only slight thing i would say is the turbo comes in about 2000k when warm as opposed to 1500 when cold. I Then took it up to 90 on an A road eased off then straight away i could feel no boost it will go along ok but just no pick up. I stopped at a roundabout then pulled off and it was fine again. Sometimes i turn it on and off again.
Do you think it could be the EGR valve at all ? i noticed a few people mention it on here ?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

turbo coming in at 2000k suggests a hose is getting warm and opening up = loosing boost presure when hot

so i would look at the link i posted above, it shows you where all the hoses are, what they look like and the likely fault conditions.

ive had loads of trouble with my car with the 3mm hoses that control the boost pressure on the turbo - if you open the bonnet and look down the front centre of the engine, you will see a small black pipe coming from the engine to the front slam panel - this leads to a small boost controller - another pipe goes down, round the fan housing to the turbo itself (this sucks the vanes open and creates high boost) look here

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zqyc7q.jpg

you can by a metre of silicone 3mm tubing from ASH motorsport on ebay for 3 quid and replace them all ( leave the one at the back of the engine Part 3) alone as it tends to snap off

But could also be a problem with the lower turbo hose or the intercooler to mainfold turbo hose

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
140 , 16v , jtd , mjet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page