jtd 10v timing belt tensioning..help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 25-07-12 Thread Starter

County: Edinburgh

Member car:

alfa 156 2.4 jtd

jtd 10v timing belt tensioning..help!

Hi,

I have a 2.4 jtd 10v which i am attempting to do a timing belt change on. the problem i have is the tenioner appears to be on a sliding pin which can move left or right to adjust the belt tenion (as well as being able to rotate the tensioner itself to adjust belt tension). could someone please explain to me how the sliding tension is set. Do i just push it to the left to make the belt reasonably tight and then set the tensioner by rotating it. All the belts i have done before have used a fix pin that the tensioner bolt onto..any help would be great..thanks, john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Firstly you need to ensure the belt it taught on the none tensioned side, there should be marks on the new belt that line up with marks on the crank and cam pulleys.
With the tensioner nut loose lever outwards against the flat tang on the bottom of the tensioner untill the pointer moves to line up with the hole in the back plate of the tensioner, you may have to move the pointer with your thumb just to get it started, when the pointer lines up with the hole tighten the tensioner nut, then turn the engine over 2 revs, make sure the timing marks line up and that the pointer is still lined up with the hole.
Are you using the proper tools or your own marks.?
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 25-07-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 156 2.4 jtd

thanks very much it for the info it makes sense now Im using my own marks and plan to use the line marks on the belt and the camshaft pointer to check its all ok..another quick one i read the nut for the sliding tensioner should be 52nm but on another forum it says to torque it to 25nm..not sure? cheers again, john
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Auto data says 48-52Nm but that does sound a bit much, I've never used a torque wrench on it, its only a 13mm nut.
I use a drop of loctite and just tighten it untill it feels tight
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 25-07-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 156 2.4 jtd

thanks..ill nip it to maybe 40nm and leave it at that with a bit of threadlock for good measure...just trying to decide whether to do the camshaft and crank oil seals while the belt is off...sods law if i dont i'll be re-doing it in a months time...cheers
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

If they arnt showing any signs of leaking then I think I'd leave them alone, they're not known to leak often.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
10v , belt , jtd , tensioninghelp , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page